PDA

View Full Version : to avoid an oil gusher and for future reference:

lmwatbullrun
06-21-2010, 06:22 AM
on my 1985 D24T 760, there is a small bolt with a 10mm head, about 25 mm long, which holds the sheet metal between the front cam belt and all it's associated pulleys, and the engine block. One of several such, it is located between the water pump and the idler pulley, slightly below the centerline of the idler pulley.

On my engine, this bolt hole taps into the main oil gallery coming from the oil pump.

If you remove the sheet metal backer, for example to replace the water pump, DO NOT forget to replace this bolt and snug it down tight. It is extremely difficult to install or tighten this bolt with the lower belt guard in place, and you will either have to destroy the belt guard to get it off so that you can access the bolt, or remove the main crank pulley and retime the engine.

Not to mention the mess resulting from having oil spewing all over your cam belt assembly and the effects of no oil pressure on your motor.

Jason
06-21-2010, 06:49 AM
Well, on the up side, at least the leak was as easy to fix as threading in a bolt! Coulda been worse I suppose...

Jason

lmwatbullrun
06-21-2010, 02:56 PM
I was really shocked that a sheet metal retainer was so critical to the operation of the engine.

Whodathunkit?