PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting fuel screw - help please

Slimlavud
06-21-2010, 01:59 AM
Hi
I have a 1995 940TDIC auto wagon, in UK, 100,000 miles, bought recently with no history. It runs very well and uses almost no oil and water. When I had a good look under the bonnet (hood), I did notice a peep of red Hermetite gasket compound around the head gasket... then I found two of the special socket adapters for the head bolts in the luggage compartment at the rear... then I decided to stop worrying... it runs well.
But, someone has had a fiddle with the fuel screw on the pump, the one that regulates the stroke of the plunger in the pump.
The car starts instantly but does smell a little of diesel (but no leaks) and smokes a bit on hard acceleration (black smoke that does clear if I push it a bit), how should I adjust this screw please? It makes around 24 to the (Imperial) gallon around town driven very gently and gets well over 30 to the gallon on a run.
Thank you
Simon

margus84
06-22-2010, 12:28 AM
I used two box-end wrenches with offset (like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kluc_ockovy_vysunuty.jpg) nr 6 and 8 (in millimeters) if I remember correctly. Loosen bigger nut and rotate bolt with smaller wrench 45-90 degrees counterclockwise (youre idle speed should drop). Make a test run and repeat or undo if nessesary.

Before that operation mine ´94 TIC was also smoking black until turbo cleard smoke abowe 2500 rpms, also my idle was to high. After cutting fuel my car seems almost as fast (maybe as fast) on hier rpms but deffinetly accelerates better becouse extra soot is not chocking the engine any more. :)

Svirre
06-30-2010, 02:44 AM
I've done that for a few days days ago. You use a 8 and 10mm to adjust the screws. I've adjust the pump so I got ca. 650rpm on idling.

Can go outside and take a picture if you guys want it :)