PDA

View Full Version : Completed Build to no start

bjs2oo7
06-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Added bigger turbo, and intercooler tried to pipe to the turbo manifold but broke the flange I made when I drove the car down the street. So I installed a n/a manifold and now it wont start. That is all that was changed and I cannot figure it out. Any ideas?

Jason
06-20-2010, 01:52 PM
You must have bumped the shutoff solenoid wire or something. Is it clicking? Did you crack an injector line loose and see if its pumping fuel?

Jason

bjs2oo7
06-20-2010, 02:04 PM
cracked one and no fuel, don't hear a clicking, which one is the shutoff wire?

Jason
06-20-2010, 02:08 PM
It goes to the injection pump right above where all the fuel lines are and under the AFC housing on the pump (where your boost refrence hose goes). It looks like a big hex bolt head and has a spade connector on it. There should be one wire plugged on it, its blue on most cars I have seen.

Jason

bjs2oo7
06-20-2010, 02:19 PM
yea its on there

Jason
06-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Try pulling it off and sticking it back on, or with the ignition on, touch it on it a few times and see if it starts clicking. If its not making any sound, its stuck. Just a coincidence that it crapped out while you were working on it.

jason

bjs2oo7
06-20-2010, 04:53 PM
it clicks when I take it off and touch it on but I still can't get it to pop or anything

Jason
06-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Make sure the filter isn't clogged. Can you see fuel or air in the pump inlet hose from the filter? Next I would remove the shutoff and see if the plunger got jambed down in there or fell apart.

Jason

bjs2oo7
06-21-2010, 01:05 PM
There is fuel to the pump, and I removed the shutoff and the plunger and spring look good. Now I cannot get the shutoff to click though and I also cannot get the glow plugs to come on.

Jason
06-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Kinda sounds like you may have shorted something. Start checking fuses... If nothing else, you could hot wire the pump. Something had to be messed up with the plunger though, if its clicking it should be working. Though I have had one that still made a clicking sound, but wouldn't shut the engine off... Opposite of your problem. The injection pump isn't just going to be pumping fuel one minute and not the next, and if there is fuel to it and fuel inside it and nothing happening at the injector lines, the shutoff is keeping it off. As for the glow plugs... Thats another problem by itself. Maybe start checking fueses, make sure its getting a 12v signal when you turn the key on, etc...

Jason

bjs2oo7
06-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Replaced fuse number 13 which has glow plugs and solenoid valve on it and the plugs come back on but it still wont start, could I remove the shut off and put it back on without the plunger? Actually how could I hot wire the pump?

Jason
06-22-2010, 05:25 AM
Ya you can, but you need to have the manual shut off lever on your pump to kill the engine. By hot wire, I meant just run a test wire over to the solenoid from the positive terminal on the batt.

Jason

bjs2oo7
06-22-2010, 06:25 AM
I jumped the solenoid and still nothing, something else must be the problem. Is there a way I can test the shut off solenoid? Would it be a bad idea to put a vac pump on the vac line of the fuel injector of cylinder #1 and pump fuel up to it?

Jason
06-22-2010, 09:55 AM
That won't really help. If the solenoid is junk, just cut off the plunger. You need to make sure your car has the fuel shutoff lever on the side of it so you an kill the engine though. If your car is a manual, you can just dump the clutch and hold the brake to shut it down. The solenoid is really all that would fail from one start up to another to where the pump doesn't pump fuel. Thats assuming the pump didn't internally break, (highly unlikely) or the rear pulley (on the cam) came loose. I'm assuming you have made sure the pump belt is turning the pump?

Jason

bjs2oo7
06-22-2010, 11:30 AM
I am getting fuel to the injectors now, but still no start. When I swapped to the steel head gasket a few months back I timed the pump by eye (wasn't trying to pay $110 for a threaded tube). The pulley is turning the pump but does the timing matter since I swapped to n/a manifold? I feel like it should at least pop or something

Jason
06-22-2010, 03:34 PM
The manifold wouldn't have affected that. Maybe a glow plug or two went out and now it wont start. I did have that happen on my car, it started ok one morning, and the next it had a real hard time. Two glow plugs were out. In this warm weather, it may still start ok without 2, but if three are burnt out your hosed. I would check the resistance of all the glow plugs, and make sure they are getting power. Just becuase the light is comming one doesn't always mean the plugs are getting power. If that fuse was blown, something could have fried in the relay... If you have fuel, it will start assuming there is pre-glow, and you have compression. Your compression didn't disapear within a few minutes!

Jason

bjs2oo7
06-23-2010, 06:42 AM
What should the resistance be around? I think that the fuse popped when I pulled off the shut off wire and touched it on the connector. Or could the wire in this picture be the culprit? I just pulled the tape off it. Also when I said I was getting fuel I assumed it because when I crack a line on an injector the threads are wet. I just pulled one completely off and fuel does not come out of it when I turn it over.
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad73/bjs2oo7/Photo080.jpg

bjs2oo7
06-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Filled the fuel filter and pump started right up. So I learned the hard way that my fuel guage is not right. But it still is not creating boost at all.

Jason
06-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Ran out of fuel... Just goes to show to check the easiest thing first!

No boost? What turbo? Is there black smoke like you have a boost leak or you not getting enough fuel?

Jason

bjs2oo7
06-24-2010, 08:46 PM
turbonetics t70, idk about the fuel but it runs like a non turbo with the sound of a turbo spooling up. Ill take pictures tomorrow so you can see what I am working with

Jason
06-25-2010, 04:37 AM
I'm don't know how big a T70 is, but I'm guessing pretty damn big. It may be too big for the engine to spool. I did a quick search and found articles for guys running them on 03/04 mustang cobras... Those are 4.6 ltr 32valve v-8s. If its the same thing its too much.

Jason

bjs2oo7
06-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Yea I am pretty sure its the same one, but one of m friends had the same turbo on his tuned honda civic pushing 550hp out a 1.8L 4 banger so I thought I would be okay. What do you suggest? Find a different turbo?

bjs2oo7
06-25-2010, 01:22 PM
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad73/bjs2oo7/Photo102.jpg
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad73/bjs2oo7/Photo101.jpg
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad73/bjs2oo7/Photo100.jpg

Jason
06-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Most of your civics can spin sky high rpm wise... What rpm did he make the power at? Aren't they also multiple valve per cylinder engines? That makes a big difference in the amount of air it can move. Hard to tell from your pictures there... What is the exhaust housing like? What A/R? Did you turn the fueling up on the pump, or still stock fuel settings...

Jason

bjs2oo7
06-25-2010, 02:17 PM
stock fuel settings, I don't know how to see what the size of the exhaust side is, I could take the downpipe off and try to measure it though

Jason
06-25-2010, 07:12 PM
It should have the A/R stamped on it.. Like .48, .63, etc... No way in hell it will spool with stock fueling. Turn the pump up!

Still may be too big for the engine though.

Jason