PDA

View Full Version : looking for advice on pop testers...

lmwatbullrun
06-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Am restoring a 1985 760 D24T volvo. Just finished changing the cam timing belt and injection pump belt, using suggestions found here; thinking about changing the injectors as they are 25 years old with 150K miles on them and according to the previous owner were never changed. Any suggestions for a pop tester? These injectors are Bosch NA40X; do they have the same threads as the NA34X in the same era M-B diesels?

Jason
06-20-2010, 06:40 AM
Are you talking about threads for the injector lines? If thats the question, yes. If you are talking about the injector itself, I'm not so sure they are the same, and either way you don't want to use the mb nozzles.

If you just get new 193 nozzles it will be an improvement. I went with the "gtd" 273 nozzles, though the later turbo diesel 293s would also be an improvement over the originals, or for that matter an improvement over new 193s.

If you search on the net a little, there are a few places that have intstructions on how to build a pop tester out of a bottle jack, and I have also seen them on ebay here and there.

Welcome to the forum, btw.

Jason

lmwatbullrun
06-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the welcome!
I was asking about the feedline threads fromt the injection lines to the pump body; There is a shop on Ebay that is selling a pop tester for mid 80s MB for fairly low price and I was thinking about getting one if it had the right attachment thread.

On another note, I got all the way finished with the cam belt replacement and injection pump timing reset, and when I started it up I had a oil gusher coming from the front of the car. It appears to be squirting out of the front of the block below and between the (new) idler and the (new) coolant pump. I did neglect to attach one of the bolts holding the lower portion of the belt guard, but I was not concerned as the sheet metal seemed adequately attached without it. Obviously I have messed up, and I am wiser now than I was. But. Now what?

It would appear marginally possible to trim the lower belt guard and get the bolt in without undoing all the work I have just completed, but I'd have a cam belt with oil all over it, and a guard with less coverage than designed.

Seeking thoughts and suggestions. Do I bite the bullet and drain the coolant again, and take everything apart and start over or what?

Jason
06-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Did you have it running before you changed the belts, or buy it not running? I can't think of anyplace oil can squirt out from in that area... So its comming from behind the timing sheet metal cover (the one behind the pulleys?)

How much oil are we talking? Pumping out like under pressure? If so, disconnect the solenoid wire off the injection pump and have someone turn it over while you look with a flash light, that should get it to com out slower so its not blowing everywhere, maybe then you can pinpoint the source.

Jason

lmwatbullrun
06-20-2010, 03:01 PM
before I replaced the belts and then this happened; a little wet at the front (oily front block and case) but no notable oil leak; I had changed the oil about 300 miles ago and no oil consumption was noted. I'll disconnect the solenoid and look a bit more closely; it took about 30 seconds to lose 2 quarts of oil, so the second time I did not allow it to run long.

I'm fairly sure that the oil is coming from the bolt hole. ANyone run into this before? It is possible that there was some sort of casting void that connected an oil gallery to this hole, and that therefore this is unusual.

Well, I checked with my patient wife twisting the key, and unusual or not, that oil is in fact coming out of that bolt hole. Do I need to replace the oil soaked belt or not?

Jason
06-20-2010, 03:44 PM
I didn't know there was a bolt hole up there that connected into the block... weird. The belt should be fine, just wipe it off. The oil is only going to deteriorate the belt over a period of time. Just getting some on it once won't hurt it.

Jason

lmwatbullrun
06-20-2010, 05:00 PM
great minds think alike. I had already gone ahead, loosened the water pump, carefully moved the cam belt out of the way and reinstalled the little missing 10 mm headed bolt, then carefully put the belt back. Time looks OK. Intentional or not there is definitely a connection to the oil gallery through that hole. Maybe on the VW truck it's a pressure sensor connection or something. Whodathunkit?

I have given the belt a wipe as I checked the engine by cranking on the 27 mm crank bolt. and I think I will run it a bit with the cover off. With old towels covering everything in the area, of course

Appreciate the prompt feedback. It's a neat old car and I'd like to get it into better shape.