PDA

View Full Version : Track results with the T-5!!!

Jason
06-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Well, the result was my qtr mile time was improved by more than a full second! I didnt' quite make it into the 15's, but it has it in her if I could get a decent launch without the "one tire fire". Best time was a 16.07@85mph. I improved each pass, but on the last one, the one that was going to be a high 15, I broke the rear end! I blew out the spider gears I guess from too many one tire burn outs lol. I'm going to take it apart tomorrow and see whats left. I think I should be able to weld it up for the good ole' Lincoln locker. With both tires doing some work I should be able to get off the line much better and get into the 15s. I know welding the rear end isn't the best, but many people have done it, and you just have to be aware when driving that the rear is always locked. Maybe when I find one, I'll bolt in a nice limited slip rear end, but in the mean time, the diff is going to be junk anyway, at least welded up I'll be able to keep pounding it around untill I get something better to drop in.

I've got some videos I'll post up shortly. Alex and I both went, and the Volvos were a big crowd pleaser. He toasted what was left of his clutch. Good thing we trailered both cars to the track!

Jason

EvoStevo
06-10-2010, 08:58 PM
sounds awesome! I can't wait to see those videos. Sucks about your diff though. I've read that some Volvos came from the factory with locking diffs, so maybe that's another option.

Jason
06-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Ya, its a "G80" Problem is finding one... the only volvos at the yard last time I was there were base trim ones. They were optional and almost never installed, but came stock on the 16 valve engine cars from what I have read.

Still, having enough power to break third gear, and now the rear end is promising! Using one of those online calculators, my rear wheel HP should be about 162, which is around 185 at the flywheel. Looks like I have close to doubled my hp, and for sure have shaved a good 5 seconds off the stock qtr mile time!

Jason

Jason

Jason
06-11-2010, 12:36 PM
T-5 carnage!!! Just took the rear apart, everything is junk! The ring and pinion is tore up, the diff is cracked and spiders are a pile in the bottom of the housing! I'm amazed it got down the track!

Jason

Slobodan
06-11-2010, 08:02 PM
How interesting! You must be pushing TONS of Torque!

I have a buddy here in Oregon who had a 744 Turbo.
B23FT with a TD04 - 16G @ 24Psi
RSI custom Stage II Turbo cam shaft.
LH 2.4 chipped.
NPR intercooler
Getrag transmission.

And with drag slicks he can SNAP both axl shafts. G80 Locker Style. Also re-enforced rear end subframe.
Car was completely gutted out. 12.7 best time
He Dyno'ed the car last year and it did 232 rwhp with 272rwtq.
a month ago he over revved the engine while warming up the tires in the burn out box was exploded the flywheel and now the car is destroyed because of it.

but he never, blew the rear end up completely. just snapped the axl shafts. well I think he did waste one locker.

Jason
06-12-2010, 06:35 AM
He had to be launching super hard like side stepping the clutch... Honestly, I'm suprised he didn't just blow up the ring and pinion... They aren't all that big, the axle shafts on the other hand I thought were pretty beefy.

Videos are post in the vid section!

Jason

77volvo245
06-12-2010, 08:41 AM
That is one thing I do not like about my 760 is that the rear end ratio is 3:91 with the M46. First gear even feels shorter and I'll be in fourth gear at forty MPH. I did take my 760 to the track once and ran in the high 18s.:rolleyes:

Jason
06-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Having a 3.91 rear end is odd... The M46 cars (at least according to my owners manual) come with a 3.55 rear end and the auto with a 3.70ish ratio. 3.91 would be very short. I had the m46 with my 3.70 rear and 1st gear wouldn't build barely any boost from a stop or slow roll unless you brake boosted it. Fortuneatly, the T-5 has a taller 1st, and now I'm going to be running the 3.55 rear gears since thats what came out of Alex's '83 760.

Jason

77volvo245
06-12-2010, 10:09 AM
My 760 did have the ZF then was converted to the M46 by one of the previous owners.

Jason, I would like to see what kind of numbers your putting down on a dyno:cool:

Jason
06-12-2010, 10:34 AM
So would I! According to the online calculators, its making about 162 hp at the wheels. That should be 180ish at the flywheel. I really wonder what kind of torque though. The engine is getting pretty tired however. I think I'll wait to spend the money on dynoing once the new engine is installed with some real boost and ported/polished head, and NA manifold. I plan to make a few pulls at different boost levels to see how the power increases over a range of boost levels.

Jason

Jason
06-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Well, I'm now sportin' the 3.55 gear set out of Alex's '83 that we are parting out. I think the car is actually a little faster thanks to the taller gears... I can build more boost in 1st gear than I could before, and build it more quickly. I also welded up the spider gears so there will be no more blown rear ends! (at least not from the spiders comming apart). It really hooks well now that both tires are doing some work!

Back to the track we go!

Jason