PDA

View Full Version : New "cold air" intake... what a difference!

Jason
06-08-2010, 07:53 PM
After having the cone filter stuck on the turbo over the winter, I noticed now that it has gotten hot and I have the rad fan back on, the hot side of the intercooler was really hot... Turbo lag had gotten worse as well. With the engine running, the fan pretty much blew hot air directly at the turbo and cone filter. Not the best setup.

So, I used one of my left over pieces of 3" tubing, and moved the cone filter over behind the headlight. I fabbed up a "box" for it with some sheet metal, painted it silver and topped it off with some door edge protector so it looks half way finnished and wont cut the crap outa me! I also removed a plug that was in the body just below the headlight, which opened up another 2-1/2" hole to the front of the car for more cool air. The results are impressive. The hot side temp of the intercooler after driving around is MUCH cooler, just warm to the touch rather than hot. With the lower inlet temp, the output side of the intercooler is actually slightly cold now, even in 80 degree weather. Overall well worth doing if you have an open element filter, I think the box around it really makes a difference.
http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af168/vwjunkie53/volvo/100_2505.jpg

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af168/vwjunkie53/volvo/100_2506.jpg

Jason
06-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Lower airflow capacity that the stock box? Do you know what it looked like? The inlet from the fenderwell was tiny. Its not the nicest filter around, but it is a dual cone with an inverted inner cone. It flows quite well. A larger paper element filter is on its way to replace it anyway.

Jason

D24TI
08-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Lower airflow capacity that the stock box? Do you know what it looked like?
Its a heck of alot more than a tiny cone! Paper filters have far more surface area than screen-door type oiled filters.

Jason
08-06-2010, 08:30 PM
It wasn't so much the filter itself, more that the box it was in was a restrictive design. Dont worry, I replaced it with a MUCH larger paper filter thats for a heavy equipment application. I'll post up a pick shortly. There is NO lack of airflow now.

Jason

RLDSL
11-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I hope it never rains where you are, and even then you are playing with fire. A whole lot of guys in California and Arizona were doing just that a number of years back and a whole bunch of the things ended up in the junkyard after they were driving on days with no rain , but took a corner just a hair too fast that had water settled in it or ran down a right hand surb lane and all the sudden came up on where someone had been watering and there was a big puddle in teh gutter and then it was all over but the crying. Engine full of bent rods and cracked pistons. There is a very good reason for the factory airbox. The thing is designed to shed water and drain off ingested water before it can be a problem. Those cone filter setups , one good splash and it's all over. A gasser can get by ingesting a small amount of water and usualy come out unscathed, but not a diesel.

lmwatbullrun
11-07-2010, 02:28 AM
I hope it never rains where you are, and even then you are playing with fire. A whole lot of guys in California and Arizona were doing just that a number of years back and a whole bunch of the things ended up in the junkyard after they were driving on days with no rain , but took a corner just a hair too fast that had water settled in it or ran down a right hand surb lane and all the sudden came up on where someone had been watering and there was a big puddle in teh gutter and then it was all over but the crying. Engine full of bent rods and cracked pistons. There is a very good reason for the factory airbox. The thing is designed to shed water and drain off ingested water before it can be a problem. Those cone filter setups , one good splash and it's all over. A gasser can get by ingesting a small amount of water and usualy come out unscathed, but not a diesel.

I take your point, but it is worth noting that Jason has an intercooler; it may have a moisture drain on it to take care of just such problems. If not, I would think that retrofitting a moisture drain to the intercooler would not be a serious challenge.

Jason
11-08-2010, 06:25 PM
I've got a much larger paper element filter in there now, it also sits up higher in the area. The element is a good 3" thick (industrial duralite filter). I would have to drown the car for it to suck any water in. I have driven it in rain and hit a couple puddles here and there on the way to work and didn't find any water getting up into that area of the engine compartment.

Jason

Ruby Rhod
11-10-2010, 05:57 AM
Thats a tiny air filter!

Jason
11-10-2010, 06:19 AM
Its not on any more... as i said I have a much larger industrial duar-lite filter now.

Jason

ThickasaBrick
05-02-2011, 04:14 AM
It wasn't so much the filter itself, more that the box it was in was a restrictive design. Dont worry, I replaced it with a MUCH larger paper filter thats for a heavy equipment application. I'll post up a pick shortly. There is NO lack of airflow now.

Jason

Where's that picture? Would love to see your updated set-up!
Regards, Eric