PDA

View Full Version : A Couple questions.

Travelteck
05-23-2010, 11:25 AM
First I would like to introduce my self.
I am a service technician for a German Concrete pump MFG
I work in the mechanical field and spend time teaching how to work on the machines we build. So I have a great value for experiance and learning from the Pros. No one is a pro on all topics.
I bought a 85 740 6 Cyl turbo diesel, runs like a strong engine but the ZF trany needed rebuilt. I removed the Trany and had it rebuilt works great.
I do look for advice of a couple things. I have been troubleshooting a smoking and hard starting issue when the engine is warm, I have changed the fuel filter and bled the injectors, I have studied the system and asked questions. I have replaced 5 out of 6 glow plugs. She starts fine when the glow plugs come on and pre heat, but after the engine is at operating temp and parked for 20 to 30 Minutes she cranks forever and starts with a huge cloud of unburned fuel smoke. I am thinking the injectors or at least some of them might be leaking into the cylinder when warm and flooding the engine. Am I on the right track? I am thinking about having the injectors rebuilt. Is this a good idea or is it better to go new, unit has about 166000 Miles on it.
Next issue exhaust leak some where under the intake manifold I want to replace the gaskets but am concerned the manifold could be cracked in a area I wont see untill I get it apart. Any common issues you have seen, do these manifolds crack or should I dive in for a gasket replace. With the excessive smoking the heater in the cabin is not nice to be in when sitting at a light:(
If I need to pull the injectors will I need a special tool like the big diesel motors? I was reading several other threads and is it slang to call the injectors squirters?
Thanks for any advice you can offer, I am in the pacific NW washington area.

EvoStevo
05-24-2010, 01:13 AM
At least on this board, the term "squirters" refers to the oil squirters found in the D24T block. They shoot a jet of oil up into the bottom of the pistons to help keep things cool. Can't offer much more help than that I'm afraid. Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Jason
05-24-2010, 06:51 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Rebuilding the injectors may help some. I'm not sure where you can even get new injectors or if they are available, but rebuilding them will be just fine. You can buy the nozzles new and thats the main wear component of the injector. My car started better after doing them,a long with better performance and mileage to boot. There are a few threads on rebuilding injectors on the forum that you can read. You may also just be somewhat low on compression. The IDI diesels really like to have a preglow before starting unless the engine is really hot like you just shut it off. My car does the same thing, that is a longer cranking time when the engine is hot but has been sitting for a little bit. Unless the compression is up there in the new engine range, it may crank longer. I know a few guys on here have installed a momentary push button switch that they can hit even when the engine is warm to glow the plugs for just a few seconds. Once the engine is warmed up, the stock GP relay doesn't fire them. I haven't heard of any problems with the manifold cracking, I would just get the gaskets and do the job. The gaskets blowing out isn't all that uncommon. All you need to pull the injectors is a 27mm deep well socket. I had trouble finding one that was deep enough to clear the overflow tubes that stick out on either side. I had to mill out the inside of the socket for clearence.

Good luck with the repairs. Any more questions, you found the right place!

Jason

Travelteck
05-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Thank You Evo and Jason.
As I read further on the web site I found out what the squirter's are.
Jason i was playing around with the thought of allowing the glow plugs to come on when the engine was warm to help also, I was not able to figure out which temp sensor was the trigger for the relay, I like the idea of a over ride button that could warm the cyls a little pre start, I will stare at the schematic to find the wiring points, I am not much for changing things from factory much but if it helps I will give it a try. I will look further in the site to see how to rebuild injectors. Didn't know I could do it myself.
I am most glad I found this site.
Where in the world is IMC? US or Europe ?