PDA

View Full Version : Shifting into 1st, rolling forward in neutral with a M46

rostapher16
05-17-2010, 08:51 PM
I believe I need to change the ATF in my M46, see if this makes sense.

Unless I come to a dead stop, it is difficult to get it into 1st.

Sometimes when I stop at a light in neutral, the car still creeps forward when I take my foot off the brake like it was an automatic. This only happens sometimes.

I did find someone talking about this issue in a Mazda forum and they said that if the ATF was starting to get really viscous then the friction might be enough to move the car a little.

That being said, I know the M46 needs ATF type F or G. Does changing the AFT make sense to do in this situation? Any particular brand that you like to use? Is this fairly easy to do?

Thanks for any info or advice.

~rostapher

Also, in the random repair category. The clutch cable pulled through the firewall (bent the sheet metal up and everything) when my wife was driving the car the other day. Has this happened to anyone else?

v8volvo
05-17-2010, 11:25 PM
I used Redline MTL in my '83 760 TD's M46. Its viscosity ratings are similar to those of ATF, but it is made with synthetic base stocks and has additives to make it hold up better to shear stresses and keep the viscosity stable. Seems to be doing a great job. When I was trying to decide whether or not to use it I got some mixed opinions, some people thought it was great and had had fantastic results with it, while others said it was a bad idea. However, those who said it was a bad idea didn't seem to have any solid rationale other than "it's not what the book says". Far as I can tell it does everything the ATF would but better.

Changing the fluid is easy enough. Make sure you clean all the crap off the magnetic plug while it's out and the fluid is draining. There was a ton of gunk on mine and I had to use compressed air to get it all off, towels wouldn't reach some of the stuff that was packed in.

These engines are notorious for pilot bearing failures, but that makes it difficult to get into gear while at a dead stop. You said yours goes in fine when stopped, just won't go in while rolling, is that correct?

Sounds like you need a new clutch cable too, or your current one lubricated.