PDA

View Full Version : Help with wire location in engine

bryancald
05-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi,

I have an 83' D24 N.A.
There is green wire coming from the large grey plug at the firewall (terminal 4).
The end of the green wire has a female spade connector, where does this go?

Thanks,
Bryan

EvoStevo
05-13-2010, 01:48 PM
I've wondered the same thing. Mine is just dangling.

Jason
05-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Thats for racing only... Don't touch it.

lol I have no clue just givin out some shit.

jason

Travelteck
05-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Speaking of wires is there a good on line source for schematic's?
85 740 GlE
Chilton is a little vague, I want to add a bypass switch to operate the glow plug's when warm. but dont want to back feed or cause issues, so I need to install a diode or 2 but the schematic I have isnt showing what is going on in the glow plug relay.TKS

verdigo
06-16-2010, 05:50 PM
I've wondered the same thing. Mine is just dangling.

Mine too. Close to the pump?

v8volvo
06-17-2010, 09:52 AM
That dangling wire is a remote starter hook-up. Short length of loose wire with a female spade connector on the end that is covered by a plastic shroud, right? If you plug a length of jumper wire with a male spade terminal into that loose wire, then touch the other end to the positive battery terminal, it will crank the engine over. Very handy during valve adjustments and other work under the hood. Just make sure it's not in gear when you try it out... :eek:

I would avoid messing with the glow plug relay -- they are hard to find now and expensive if you break it by trying to alter it. If you are having hard warm starts then it means your compression is below spec, so eventually you will want to deal with that... but in the meantime, getting some glow when the engine is warm will work. A good way to do it is put an interrupt relay in the glow plug temp signal circuit, and then a switch on the dash to interrupt it.

So for instance, you would put a 5-terminal relay that is normally closed in line with the wire coming from the temperature sender at the rear of the cylinder head, right below the rear cam sprocket, and then a pushbutton on the dash to actuate the relay when necessary and temporarily open the circuit. Then, when the circumstances arise that you want the plugs to come on but they aren't, you can just hit that button and it will briefly fool the glow controller into thinking the engine is cold since it will see an infinite resistance signal from the temp sender. The controller will turn the plugs on for max glow, but after just a couple seconds of glow (should not need much when it is already partly warm), you can turn the key and the engine will start easily. Works like a charm.

v8volvo
06-17-2010, 09:54 AM
FYI, 700 series cars also have a remote starter hook-up... it is a similar piece of dangling wire with a protected female spade at the end, and it is on the driver's side fender well, right near the glow plug relay and the big multi-terminal engine harness connectors. Even closer to the battery and even more convenient. :)

Jason
06-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Great info George, this should probably be a sticky.

Any other interesting info you have like this that you would like to write up would be great... Stuff that you can't find in the green books.

Jason

RedArrow
10-04-2014, 11:33 AM
That dangling wire is a remote starter hook-up. Short length of loose wire with a female spade connector on the end that is covered by a plastic shroud, right? If you plug a length of jumper wire with a male spade terminal into that loose wire, then touch the other end to the positive battery terminal, it will crank the engine over. Very handy during valve adjustments and other work under the hood. Just make sure it's not in gear when you try it out... :eek:

That`s fun (for times when i`m lazy)! Came across this old posting & wondering how it activates the glowplugs? :) Nice feature, I`d love it. Do some d24t cars have it too? (I`m lazy to go outside to see:D:D) :)

RedArrow
10-04-2014, 11:46 AM
FYI, 700 series cars also have a remote starter hook-up... it is a similar piece of dangling wire with a protected female spade at the end, and it is on the driver's side fender well, right near the glow plug relay and the big multi-terminal engine harness connectors. Even closer to the battery and even more convenient. :)

hey, thanks....I must go outside now :)