PDA

View Full Version : Tired turbo?!

Svirre
04-30-2010, 09:27 AM
I wonder why this turbo is so "tired". It began to spool-up when I pass about 2000 rpm, and have full effect somewhere between 2700-3000 rpm.

Other cars I've been driving have spool-up and almost full effect when I approach 2000rpm. Is the exaust to clogged?

alcinoloureiro
05-01-2010, 01:43 AM
in all my D24t and tic the turbo shouts at 2000rpm and full effect at +- 2500 ītill (almost) redline

you should check your turbo (fan) for backlash!!!

Svirre
05-02-2010, 02:45 AM
in all my D24t and tic the turbo shouts at 2000rpm and full effect at +- 2500 ītill (almost) redline

Woudn't that make some screams noises from the turbo when it spool-up?

v8volvo
05-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Excessive shaft play wouldn't affect spool-up, it would only cause the turbo to make different noises and result in severe oil consumption. I have never seen or heard of a turbo failing on one of these engines - I think they are very well-designed and tend to last forever even with hundreds of thousands of miles on them. Restricted exhaust is your likely culprit. The mufflers like to plug up on these. Removing the muffler from mine helped it spool up much faster.

volvo d6
05-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Excessive shaft play wouldn't affect spool-up, it would only cause the turbo to make different noises and result in severe oil consumption. I have never seen or heard of a turbo failing on one of these engines - I think they are very well-designed and tend to last forever even with hundreds of thousands of miles on them. Restricted exhaust is your likely culprit. The mufflers like to plug up on these. Removing the muffler from mine helped it spool up much faster.

I have heard that a taxi 940 d24tic has 800 hundred thousand km on it without rebuilding and the turbo has never been changed:eek:

bjs2oo7
05-04-2010, 01:47 PM
The stock turbo on mine is blown dam thing barely goes won't spool and engulfs itself with smoke at idle

Svirre
05-13-2010, 01:29 PM
I've been listening on the turbo very much the last time, and it's like the sound of the air who's flowing into a vacuum cleaner. Is not the sound of the engine, but the airflow sound in the end of the pipe.
When I pass 2500rpm, I'll get that sound. When I get passed about 3200rpm I've got the real turbo wheezing.

Haven't mount any turbo gauge. (I'll been mounted on my next payday :D)

Sorry for my bad english, and hope you guys understand my explaination.

Boots
05-13-2010, 03:06 PM
My turbo does exactly the same as yours. A lowish hoover type whistle between around 1900 and 2150. (You can make it do this for as long as you want if you keep the throttle nearly closed). Can also sound like its coming from the rear of the car. Then, as you say, it only really picks up to a decent level of boost with a 'normal' turbo whistle at around 2500. Full on at 3k.

I agree our turbos are probably knackered but I think I might try some exhaust mods (mufflerectomy) before I pay for a new one.

If I get any improvements, I'll let you know...

Boots.

Svirre
05-14-2010, 01:41 AM
My turbo does exactly the same as yours. A lowish hoover type whistle between around 1900 and 2150. (You can make it do this for as long as you want if you keep the throttle nearly closed). Can also sound like its coming from the rear of the car. Then, as you say, it only really picks up to a decent level of boost with a 'normal' turbo whistle at around 2500. Full on at 3k.

I agree our turbos are probably knackered but I think I might try some exhaust mods (mufflerectomy) before I pay for a new one.

If I get any improvements, I'll let you know...

Boots.

I'm going to try that to.

My mods will be with only 1 muffler. Then I mount a F***** big one on the rear exhaust trying to get a heavy, nice sound of it :D Maybe it's help the turbo, I think. (I'll gome a InterCooler to :D)

Jason
05-14-2010, 05:35 AM
Throw away the stock turbo and step up to a decent size straight t-3 with a .48 A/R turbine housing. It will spool fine and they are all over ebay for cheap. If your looking to push more boost, look into a T3/T4 like I did on my car. A little bit lazier on spool up but once it lights it really spools hard and pushes some air....

Jason

Svirre
05-23-2010, 05:43 AM

I've checked the turbo, and it's fine. Everythings good!
So I belive removing the muffler will help :)