PDA

View Full Version : Addition of intercooler.

Boots
04-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi Folks,

I would like to intercool the D24T fitted to my 940 and wondered if anyone here could offer some guidance.

From what I can work out from reading forums etc, the following things will need to happen:

1. Source and fit intercooler. My vehicle appears to have the mounts already so no problems here.

2. Change turbo. I think the outlet duct points the wrong way. (Not to mention being drinking-straw sized!)

3. Change inlet manifold. Again the inlet duct is wrong for the charge air pipework.

4. Upgrade oil cooler to oil-air type. Saw this in a v8volvo post. Not sure if it's essential.

5. Twiddle various screws on fuel pump until a) car goes like stink, b) doesn't smother all behind in clouds of smoke.

If I could get away with not replacing the turbo, that would be good from a cost point of view. (I'm sort of prepared to entertain the idea of custom pipework??)

That said, it does take the current unit forever to spin up! Are there units available that would be more responsive but still fit on the manifold etc?

Does anyone in the uK know of any possible sources for the intercooler/manifold/turbo. I have been looking around for a few weeks now but haven't found anything yet.
(Presumably most of them are still happily working away in their original vehicles.)

Any advice on this would be gratefully received.

Boots.

P.S. I will post some pics of the current arrangement tomorrow when I've found my camera!

Edit: Just realized this was posted in the wrong place - not sure how to move it - sorry!

Jason
04-28-2010, 05:03 AM
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=244

read through that thread and you will see some good pics and info.

You should get a NA manifold, the off boost response and torque is better, along with having a nice size 3" inlet to plumb your piping to. I would also check your turbo out, it sounds like there is something wrong with it, either the waste gate is leaking/hung open, or the turbo is worn badly. Such as the compressor wheel rubbing on the housing, etc. The stock turbo normally spools instantly, thanks to its tiny .36 a/r exhaust housing.

Jason

Boots
04-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks for that Jason. Pics have given me plenty of food for thought!

I think the turbo is probably just tired. With the pedal hard down, it starts to spool around 2200 and gets properly singing about 3000. It really whistles like crazy too - loudest turbo I've ever heard, outside of a lorry anyway!

You have any opinion on the oil cooler upgrade?

Boots.

Jason
04-28-2010, 08:19 PM
If your not going to really run it hard I don't see any problem with the stock oil cooler. Sure its not the best, and if it failed I would replace it with a air cooled setup rather than the stock setup. Even so, I wouldn't be all that worried about it at this point.

Sounds like your turbo is done. The stocker can usually make 15lbs or more boost by 2500 or so depending on fueling. It starts to spool really right off idle.

Full boost by 3k rpm is more like my T3/T4.

Jason