PDA

View Full Version : Advice on checking the bottom end

Benzsc1
04-08-2010, 03:51 AM
Hi ya guys hope all is well on here?

I have started stripping down my spare D24Tic that is forming the basis of the engine for my VW LT. Just checking have any of you got some D24 specific tips/signs etc for checking the bottom end once I have the head off my check was going to be as follows whichI see as the basics needed.

1) Carry out compression test (Engine is out but I am sure this can be done)

2) Remove cylinder head check condition of the head face and combustion chambers all being weel send of for a skim and possibly a port and polish

3) Check the bores for scoring and condition of piston crowns

4) Ensure bottom end spins freely + check for excessive end float???

Is there any thing else I can do or need to do before refitting the head etc with out stripping the sump and crank?

Cheers guys

Si ;)

Benzsc1
04-12-2010, 03:46 AM
No Takers on this one then?? Thought I would bump this any advice would be appreciatted

piper109
04-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Simon,

The bottom end of these engines is very solid. Its unlikely that anything will need replacement. Some folks only replace the top shell on the big ends.
Just check the clearances per book specs.

Rings can be very worn and bores still be OK unless it was a D24 non turbo engine.

I had 1/4" top ring gaps on my rebuild but the bores had less than .001"wear.

Sieze the opportunity to replace both crankshaft seals :-)

Steve

Benzsc1
04-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Cheer Steve Crank seals already on my list the engine is an original D24T so no issues there!! I Hope !!

(I might treat her to a new set of rings anyway)

Thanks again :)

v8volvo
04-21-2010, 12:00 AM
You are on the right track but unless you know that it is worn out, or it has been sitting forever, I don't think it will even need all the things you are concerned about doing to it. If it runs well and shows good readings when you test the compression, and you can verify that the heakgasket is intact (do the bubble test to see if it pressurizes the water jackets with compression pressure), then there is no reason to take the head off. Unless someone has really abused it, or the injectors are extremely worn, or someone let the timing belt break, the piston crowns will be fine and if compression is good then the bores will be fine too.

I would get it running, try to run it long enough (with coolant in it) to get it warmed up a bit and all the scuzz from sitting burned/scraped away, then test compression and go from there.