PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating D24+T

hvguy
03-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Im looking into buying an 82 240 wagon, needs 2 new passenger doors "low speed wreck" and its got 260k miles, m46 tranny, of course, n/a d24.

Ive been looking around and have seen people turbo these non turbo engine without a problem, however, im a bit afraid of the high mileage on this engine... no telling if somebody ever changed the oil on time, or at all...

I have a garrett m33 a/r 48 turbo lying around that I would love to put to use, its a T3 flange, but I dont know what the d24t flange is!!!!!!! ive been browsing google for the past hour and nothing! Not to toot my own horn, but my googling skills are quite refined.

Any idea what the flange style is on the oem d24t?

and, where would be a good place to purchase a rebuild kit? Im talking about new rod bearings, piston rings, head gasket, etc...

volvo d6
03-21-2010, 07:20 AM
If the engine don`t burn alot of oil and starts good is it okay to put a turbo on. The flange is a t3 on turbo manifold.

Jason
03-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Do some reading here on the forum, lots of good info. Turboing it will really add some driveability. Do a compression check first to get an idea of the engines condition if you are questioning its condition.

Jason

hvguy
03-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Do some reading here on the forum, lots of good info. Turboing it will really add some driveability. Do a compression check first to get an idea of the engines condition if you are questioning its condition.

Jason

I was reading somewhere, somebody did a tut on checking the compression, something about 400psi is good, and the back 2 cylinders were around 380 and how they can be starved of oil frequently.

I believe a smokestack will be in order as soon as I get it "evil laugh"

sorta unrelated: heres a stack I put on my 81 starlet, the engine is a 5efe from a 92 paseo, and the turbo setup is from a 94 euro-starlet with a 4efte.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W79ymd_-3pA

Jason
03-21-2010, 03:29 PM
The starving oil thing about the last two cylinders is an old wives tale. If your below 400 though its getting pretty tired... I don't know of any shop that sells a rebuilt kit. Check the parts suppliers section for links to shops that carry parts though. Archway, the shop I work at can get pretty much all the engine stuff you will need for a rebuild.

Jason

hvguy
03-22-2010, 07:30 PM
The starving oil thing about the last two cylinders is an old wives tale. If your below 400 though its getting pretty tired... I don't know of any shop that sells a rebuilt kit. Check the parts suppliers section for links to shops that carry parts though. Archway, the shop I work at can get pretty much all the engine stuff you will need for a rebuild.

Jason

PM sent
-_-

SmokeyWagon
03-23-2010, 01:01 PM
The D24T/TIC has oil cooled pistons, with nozzels that "shoot" oil to the bottom of the piston. I don't think it's a good idea modifying a n/a D24. Maybe installing a taller head gasket so it has lower compression. Keep updated on ideas!! Great work!

cuaz64
03-23-2010, 06:15 PM
The D24T/TIC has oil cooled pistons, with nozzels that "shoot" oil to the bottom of the piston. I don't think it's a good idea modifying a n/a D24. Maybe installing a taller head gasket so it has lower compression. Keep updated on ideas!! Great work!

There's no problems with that (the oil squirters). Also, a lower compression ratio in a d24/D24T is a bad things, making almost impossible to start the engine and generates a lot of troubles. This guy turbocharged a D24 without trouble:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=129772&highlight=diesel

volvo d6
03-23-2010, 11:30 PM

I cant understand why people keep saying this. You need the oil squirters whwn the engine is in a vw lt. Compression is the same in all d24.

Slobodan
03-27-2010, 08:57 PM
On your car, It has missmatched doors? Is it Blue/silver? Is the colour of the engine block Ford Blue? If so, then Its been rebuilt properly. and I know the car.

RLDSL
04-03-2010, 09:20 AM
There was a European company that sold an aftermarket kit to turbo a d24. I don't know if they still make new kits for it though. I've long since lost the link . If I get lucky one day and get my old laptop to boot, I'll try to retrieve it. As many times as I've posted it in various places there should be references around the net.

jbg
04-05-2010, 04:17 PM
There was a European company that sold an aftermarket kit to turbo a d24. I don't know if they still make new kits for it though. I've long since lost the link . If I get lucky one day and get my old laptop to boot, I'll try to retrieve it. As many times as I've posted it in various places there should be references around the net.

RLDSL,

Ross had a blog on a Volvo-based kit:

http://volvoturbodiesel.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_archive.html

Enjoy.

Sweedspeed18
04-05-2010, 07:06 PM
I cant understand why people keep saying this. You need the oil squirters whwn the engine is in a vw lt. Compression is the same in all d24.

What??????

Benzsc1
04-09-2010, 05:17 AM
He means the eurpoen truck that VW produced if thats what you are referring too VW make the L80 in the south America's and Peterbiult also use the LT chassis to offer a small to medium range rigid truck come to think of it I wonder what engines those trucks used ?? probably something similar to what MAN used in there LT variated trucks. I imagine it is preferrable to have the proper D24T engine withn the squirters but its still ok to Turbo a standard good condition D24 if using it in a Volvo with standard boost. ;)