PDA

View Full Version : TURBO light on

ilovmyvw
02-14-2010, 09:45 AM
ANyone know how to turn the TURBO light off??? I had the car a few years and only came on last month. The turbo seems to be working fine, but the light is still on. Please help.

Sam

cuaz64
02-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Which car is yours? the turbo light indicate that you have "overboost" problems (boost over stock specificacion) or you overboost sensor is damaged.

ilovmyvw
02-17-2010, 11:26 AM
I am monitoring the boost gage on the dash and it seems to be high and then after a few seconds, it will drop a bit. I can't tell if the wastegate is working or the dump valve is working.

I have a vacuum gauge and I just need to hook it up.

I replaced my old muffler with a straight pipe and it definitely is working a lot better.

Anyone have the shop manual on how to service, rebuild the TURBO or replace the wastegate?

sofiene
02-17-2010, 02:03 PM
by the way how do i know that the turbo works perfectly ??

Sweedspeed18
02-18-2010, 09:47 PM
I am monitoring the boost gage on the dash and it seems to be high and then after a few seconds, it will drop a bit. I can't tell if the wastegate is working or the dump valve is working.

I have a vacuum gauge and I just need to hook it up.

I replaced my old muffler with a straight pipe and it definitely is working a lot better.

Anyone have the shop manual on how to service, rebuild the TURBO or replace the wastegate?

So, the gauge you are talking about shows no metrics, correct?
Or does it display pressure in numbers, rather than colors (on the stock gauge)?
If you do not know how much boost you are utilizing, in an actual number, you may want to invest in a mechanical boost gauge before anything else.
The muffler thing is just reducing back pressure, nothing really out of the ordinary.
But a nice increase in power, for sure.

A turbo rebuild should be done where the turbo can be balanced after it is reassembled.
You could rebuild it at home, but I wouldn't advise it.
You could replace the wastegate actuator, but the wastegate itself is in the turbine housing of the turbo.
If the wastegate itself needs to be replaced, you are better off finding a different turbo.

ilovmyvw
03-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks for all your help guys ( and girls), I discovered something very interesting.
The TURBO light stays on when it is disconnected. I will have to look for a short somewhere.

The boost gauge I am talking about is the stock unit in the instrument cluster.

I still haven't gotten to check it with an actual vacuum gauge.
I am a licenced mechanic, so I think I can handle the rebuild at home. Part will be expensive though. :(:eek:

By the way, it is for sale $$$$. Make me a reasonable offer. Message for more info.

Sam