PDA

View Full Version : Motor options...

Sweedspeed18
02-11-2010, 08:39 PM
What other Volkswagen diesel motors can work with a D24 equipped Volvo?
I would assume quite a few, only because it seems Volvo threw in a straight Volkswagen motor, and not a Volkswagen/Volvo collaboration.
However, correct me if I am wrong.

I have heard some things about poor oil circulation in the head of a D24, so this makes me wonder if it will even be worth messing with a motor that has been sitting for 4-5 years, that I know will not work how I want it to...

I'm not sure which direction I want to take with this, but I know it will be diesel, and until Volvo made diesels become plentiful in the U.S., then I will have to resort to Volkswagen.

Just looking for some advice, and any/all is welcome.
If you want to pm me with further details, that would probably be a little easier to take in then a bombardment of responses :p

Thanks again guys,
John

v8volvo
02-12-2010, 12:13 AM
The poor oil circulation issues of the D24 in the cylinder head are an urban legend. Maybe there was some truth to them a few decades ago in the years of extremely low-quality engine oil, but nowadays any good-quality oil will have no issues at all, even a non-synthetic like Delo.

There is no reason a D24 would not work the way you want it to. It will take much more difficulty and effort to swap it out for a different motor than it would to keep it original and make the D24 work. You can even add a turbo and the motor should be fine as long as you don't beat on it too much. There is a guy who swapped a late-model 1.9L VW TDI into his gasser 245 over on tbricks, I think his screen name is sdturbo. It was a neat swap and sounds like the car turned out well, but it was a ton of work. The 4cyl motors are not as smooth or quiet as a D24 is when it's running right. If your D24 is really dead dead dead then you might consider other options... but if it is in reasonably good condition, your best bet will be to do some routine maintenance on it, clean it up, and enjoy it. They are nice motors and extremely durable if looked after.

We just did a compression test last week on a 1984 244 D24 with 255,000 miles on the original motor. It had over 400 lbs on all cylinders, and most were closer to 500. These things really don't deserve their reputation. They last if you take care of them. If you neglect and abuse them, well, they don't live a long life -- but anything that gets neglected and abused doesn't last. The thing is that most of the people that neglected and abused D24/Ts didn't realize they were doing it, because they didn't understand the different needs of a sophisticated lightweight high-speed diesel engine... so they thought they were taking care of it but weren't. Then when it blew up after not too many miles, the motor got the blame. That's how they got the bad rep, but if yours is still working then it hasn't been killed yet... and unless you kill it, it will probably continue to live a happy life for a long time. :)

lalozf
02-12-2010, 02:42 AM
in Spain I know two D24t with more than 400.000 miles, mine is only 180.000 miles on it

Sweedspeed18
02-12-2010, 04:40 AM
Yea I read that build thread on Turbobricks, it was really inventive and cool, I thought.
I'm not sure how weathered my D24 is, being that it has been sitting for so long.
I guess the first step would be to yank it out of the engine bay and break it down.

I never even thought of the oil circulation thing to be a problem caused by crappy oil.
So that definitely makes more sense.
And I will almost indefinitely be using synthetic oil, so I shouldn't have any problems then, correct?

Jason
02-12-2010, 05:20 AM
You should be good to go, but it doesn't hurt to check things out after an engine has been sitting so long. The cylinder bores can rust just because of humidity after sitting that long with no oil getting on them. Have you started it at all, or is this a project car you bought to get running?

Jason

Jason
02-12-2010, 05:22 AM
I just read your other post now I remember. You will be happy you got a diesel, lots of torque, good mileage, and they sound awesome. Also its cool to drive something a little different than everyone else with their "red blocks" Who cares about that??? Green blocks are where its at!

Jason

Sweedspeed18
02-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Yea exactly!
I drove a 96 F250 7.3 PSD 5 speed for a while, and was so impressed with the sound and torque of the engine.

I don't care about power for the time being, just merging into traffic.
This will be a show car, not a race car.
I have a ton of plans for what I want to do with it, aesthetically, but we will see how allowing the funds will be :p

Jason
02-12-2010, 09:13 AM
These engines sound way better than than a power stroke, and I'm even a Ford owner! As I'm sure you've heard in the videos they sound more like a Cummins. Nothing like the sound of a straight six turbo diesel!

Make sure to post up pics in the Garage section of your progress and what your starting with!

Jason

Slobodan
02-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I just saved a D24 powered Silver '83 245 at Volvos Only where I work.
The owner noticed huge puddles of oil under her car but didn't add any to the engine. I told her she needed to check the engine oil every couple days. Her engine ran strong started right up in cold weather and was only 192k old. front main seal went out... The timing belt was soaked in oil and about to snap but she siezed up the motor saving the head for me.

Anyways, I replaced that D24 with my old D24 from my yellow wagon. It had been sitting in a barn for almost a year. Shoved it in and Fired it right up! I was amazed because when I ran that motor I always had a hell of a time starting it. I thought low compression... Well yeah... So before I put it in, I soaked the cylinders in ATF and did a quick valve adjustment. I say quick because I need to go back in there and adjust them further as I didn't have enough of the thinner shims. Man, such a solid running engine that one. Its for sale at Volvos Only now. Rich wants 1950$ for it. Its a good price!
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/1598183109.html

v8volvo
02-12-2010, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't even worry about hauling it out. Just put some fresh oil and fuel in it and start it up! I bet you'll be surprised -- odds are it will light right up and run just fine. Then you can go from there. It may not even need much work at all.

volvo d6
02-15-2010, 10:15 AM
It is imortant that you are cleaning the tank and pump and use a pump to pumpe diesel in the system before you start or you break your seal back on the pump like i did. I had a 84 diesel that have been sitting for ten years and i fired it right up.

volvo d6
02-15-2010, 10:18 AM
These engines sound way better than than a power stroke, and I'm even a Ford owner! As I'm sure you've heard in the videos they sound more like a Cummins. Nothing like the sound of a straight six turbo diesel!

Make sure to post up pics in the Garage section of your progress and what your starting with!

Jason

Scania 141 v8 14,2liter and 400hp with straight pipe sounds better. That is also a sweedish product:D

Eli
02-15-2010, 01:17 PM
You've come to the right place! Welcome.

Stick with the D24, the 4 cylinder variant has a different bellhousing pattern. From what I hear, Audi's 5 cylinder is the same pattern, but probably more rare then the D24 in the US. As you've heard, most of the D24/t's bad rap isn't true.

I wouldn't worry about your D24 sitting for a few years, most of the D24/t's I've owned I've brought back from sitting for extended periods.

-Check the front timing belt to see it's in good shape. If that thing breaks your camshaft is a gonner. If the rear belt goes, your car will stop running obviously, but nothing catastrophic will happen.
-Change oil (Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 is what's recommended)
-Change fuel filter (fill new filter with diesel/ATF)
-Make sure diesel in tank is clean, and not growing anything.
-Purge air out of/prime fuel lines. (you can do this easily with a temporary electric pump, or by pressurizing the tank with an air compressor ect.)

After this you should be ready to safely start. (Am I missing anything guys?)

When first cranking the engine over, holding the accelerator to the floor should speed up starting. Just be ready to let off when it finally catches!!!

If you can't get it started, the first thing I would look into is glow plugs. Make sure the rail is getting power when the glow plug light is on, and if it is get a new set if plugs, or test your old ones depending on your budget. Just buying a new set and replacing them with the filters and such is not a bad idea.

And good luck!

If you have any questions or need some help sometime, don't hesitate to ask. We're only about 2 hours away from each other. Very cool to have another Volvo Diesel'er so close.

sofiene
02-15-2010, 04:58 PM
i have seen a 1985 volvo 760 gle with a bmw straight inline 6 cyl engine bellieve me it was an incredible engine in the 760. i don't know wich bmw model but it's a TDS inline 6 cyl bmw and this car came originally with a d24tic engine !!!!!!!!

and some volvo experts told me that an ISUZU 2.5 4cyl can fit in a volvo 760gle and i know that this engine have a lot of power !!!http://www.tsikot.biz/wp-content/uploads/classipress/1997-isuzu-fuego-ls-1072186600.jpg !!!!!!!!!!!