PDA

View Full Version : I need some clutch/tranny swap help...

Jason
02-11-2010, 05:43 PM
I finnally have pretty much everything I need to do the swap. I just got the throw out bearing and clutch plate today. Upon trying to install the throwout bearing and arm in the bellhousing, it looks like I am missing pieces... I searched around and it looks like I should have a "ball stud" for the arm to pivot on. Also, how does the throwout bearing mount to the arm? I don't see any way to attach it. Anyone have a pic of what that looks like together? I don't have a manual that shows trans and clutch... Does anything support the throw out arm down where it comes through the bellhousing, or is it supported by the bearing to keep it from flopping around? Sorry to sound like a dumb ass but I've never worked on a volvo manual, or ever seen one!

Jason

v8volvo
02-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Jason,

I have a complete spare D24T M46 in my garage with release lever and throwout bearing still attached. Probably won't have time to move all the piles of stuff off it till the weekend but I'll try to snap some photos of it and put them up. I don't recall what the arrangement is off the top of my head.

I believe the only things supporting the release lever are the ball stud over on the pass side, the throwout bearing, and the clutch cable. I think is essentially free to move in the hole in the bellhousing when the throwout bearing is not present. However there should also be a return spring somewhere, and its location and setup depends on what year tranny you have. '83 and '84 have an external return spring that hooks onto the arm where the clutch cable attaches and then runs back to the trans crossmember. '85 cars have the return spring inside the bellhousing. I have the engine out of my '85 stick wagon right now too so could snap a pic of its exposed bellhousing for comparison purposes, that way you can figure out what you have and what you need. The spare tranny I have is from an '83 so you can see both types.

By the way, you know you may need a different trans crossmember as well, right? Volvo used at least 2 types of tranny crossmember in 700 cars, possibly 3, I don't recall. I remember having to figure all that stuff out when I did my V8 swap several years back.

Jason
02-12-2010, 04:33 AM
Hey George,
I did get the cross member with the trans so I should be all set there. I did some more research and did find that there is a early style arm and later with the two pins. I do have the early arm, and the bearing I got is for the turbo diesel. According to IMCs listings, that bearing fits just about every volvo so I'm pretty sure its correct, I just don't see how it attaches. I also don't have a spring, but I could probably rig something up thats not too big a deal. I have a TD bellhousing mounted on a earlyier steel case M46.

Jason

piper109
02-12-2010, 03:56 PM
I bought some of my missing parts from Swedish Engineering. They actually had internal parts for the M46. They sent me some part list pics of the clutch assembly. If I can find them I will post them. They sold me this humungous weight which goes on the arm where the cable attaches. I have no spring. The weight stops the clutch lever etc from chattering.
I seem to recall that the throwout bearing is loosely retained with some spring clips.

Steve

Jason
02-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Funny that the clutch kit doesn't show any clips like that, you would think they would be included. I am at a loss as to how the bearing is supposed to ride on that arm though. A picture would be great.

Jason

piper109
02-12-2010, 07:53 PM
OK I found my picture though its not a lot of help. The clips must have been in another car, another clutch.
Essentially the bearing fits in an ovalized hole in the arm. There are 2 flats on the bearing body. When the arm and the bearing are both on the sleeve thats around the shaft, inside the bellhousing, its a bit more obvious.

The sleeve keeps the bearing properly oriented against the clutch and it should be lightly greased and it stays in place The arm bulges in the middle of the ovalized arm hole push against the back side of the larger diameter portion of the throwout bearing and the flats of the bearing engage in the ovalized hole so the body of the bearing cannot rotate. The bearing just sits there. Its a very nice fit on the sleeve. The clutch itself keeps the bearing in place inside that ovalized hole, with the requisite play of course.

There is a wire spring that goes around the ball pivot that the arm bears against.
This keeps the arm from floating around and separating from the ball pivot bolt.
The 2 flats on the bearing keep the arm in the correct plane so it sticks out through the hole in the bellhousing where a rubber boot seals it off.

I can scan what I have on monday and send a pdf.

Hope this helps

Steve

Jason
02-13-2010, 04:20 AM
Thanks Steve,
I was aware of how the bearing rides on the sleve, I have a ball mount comming though I didn't know about a spring there too. The bearing does have two metal tangs on it, but I thought that the bearing would ride on the arm on those two metal tangs, rather than the plastic. The tangs stop it from spinning though, so I guess thats how it goes in?

I made a video of what I have, pay no attention to the hello neil at the beginning, I sent it to a guy I know that also does volvo stuff, obviously his name is Neil!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zexos3i7fX8

Jason

piper109
02-13-2010, 05:13 AM
The throwout bearing I had was a little different and I see your dilemma. That one fits the gas engine yokes which are an open ended fork.
Probably you could dremel off some of the small flanges that stop yours from going into the arm hole, just enough so they do. You were trying to put it in right but those flanges were stopping you.
Being a CSB I took my old bearing apart, cleaned and regreased it. I did not buy a new one.

Steve

Jason
02-13-2010, 05:17 AM
I wonder if that's the wrong arm then. I just got the bearing and I ordered the turbo diesel bearing... I'm pretty sure the bearing is correct. So am I right in assuming it should be riding on those metal pads? I guess cutting off the ears would be no big deal.

Jason

cuaz64
02-13-2010, 05:48 AM
Do you gonna use a cable clutch or a hydraulic actioned clutch? there is a diferent clutch fork for each setup. Check this:
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/TransmissionManual.html#ReplacingTurboTransmission NA

piper109
02-13-2010, 06:59 AM
No you dont have the wrong arm. Its the same arm as I have. Its the bearing which is slightly different.

Steve

piper109
02-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Here is a pic my wife scanned for me.

Hope you can get it.

Steve

Jason
02-13-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm using cable. Thanks for the pic, it doesn't show much on the throw out bearing. I guess I just need to cut those little ears off there.

Jason

piper109
02-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Well the other thing I found is the part number. On the Volvo documentation it shows 3549391 with (1220949) beside it. Perhaps you can compare this to the one you have.
I have the entire parts list which goes with that drawing which I agree is not helpful where that bearing is concerned.

Steve