PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen a compound turbo setup on a D24T??

Jason
02-09-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm going to fab up a compound turbo setup for my car.. I was wondering if its been done and with what turbos? I'm sure I'm not the first to do it. I'm planning on using my current t3/t4 as the high pressure turbo, and a Holset HX35 as the primary turbo. Should be able to push an easy 30 to 40lbs of boost with low drive pressure and cool EGTs. (obviously I won't be pushing that kind of boost untill the head studs are in). The T3/T4 effecient boost range is only up to 20psi, and I would like to make more boost than that, but without having to have it reved sky high... I think AXL is running a HX 40 but is having trouble keeping it spooled... The compound setup will have all the advantages of a big and small turbo without the short commings of either...

I know its overkill and not needed, but it will look and sound cool:cool:

Jason

EvoStevo
02-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Wow! Can't wait to see this!

Slobodan
02-09-2010, 10:01 PM
This is cool. And I've got an idea.
How about using N/A exhaust manifolds possible better flow? and remount a smaller turbo like TD04HL - 12A combo for quick I mean QUICK boost off the line Then also change over to a T3/T4 for some heavy breathing in the mid to uppper range nothing that huge on boost like 15psi on the huge turbo and 10 max on the little one.

An idea I got from this:
http://img.worldcarfans.com/2009/2/medium/new-volvo-d5-twin-turbo-diesel-engine.jpg

http://images.paultan.org/images2/New_Volvo_D5_Twin_Turbo_Diesel_Engine_Large.jpg

would be a bit of work to impliment but would gain lots from quick PSI on take off.

Jason
02-10-2010, 05:23 AM
I had thought about using the stocker with a larger compressor housing, and then using the T3/T4 as the primary turbo, but everyone says these engines don't like a bunch of boost down low... I'm afraid with the stock turbo pushing 10lbs by like 2k rpm, the T3/T4 will be adding in at least 5lbs of boost into it, so I could be seeing over 20lbs of boost at that rpm... I don't want to blow the engine up! The T3/T4 has decent low end spool, and it will be even better with the manual. Also, by using the Cummins HX35 as the primary, its going to look and sound rediculus! I just got the HX last night and it looks crazy huge sitting on my bench!

I think your idea would work great if I had some $$$ to blow on a good set of H-beams so the engine could hold the power down low... Just think of the crazy power band you would have with a compound setup like your saying! From 2 to 5k rpms?? That would be awesome but I don't think the stock stuff is going to like it!

Jason

Jason
02-10-2010, 06:18 PM
How about a couple teaser pics. Upon moving some stuff (the coolant resivior) it will fit, and I'm thinking I'll gain a little more space with the NA manifold since it has the runners and the "log" is up higher... Take a look at the pic of it on the bench, the turbo next to it is very close to the same size (just physicaly) as the stocker! By the time the intercooler is plumbed in along with the compound setup, its going to be getting pretty crazy in there.
http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af168/vwjunkie53/volvo/102_0391.jpg

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af168/vwjunkie53/volvo/102_0392.jpg

Jason

Eli
02-11-2010, 11:39 AM
I believe This (http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=1554) is the only duel turbo set-up of any sort I've heard about on a D24. He seemed to like it though. I know quite a few people tried to dig him up later on to get more info, but I haven't heard anything.

Seems like an awesome idea Jason, go for it!

I'd love to hear/see how it works out.

Jason
02-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Interesting read... Looks like that was a twin turbo setup, not compound though. Sounds like it hauled ass though. I cant believe I'm the first person to attempt this!

Jason

lalozf
02-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Go Jason, This is a small step for a man but a big step for our comunity.
best regards

piper109
02-12-2010, 04:23 PM
In keeping with my crazy ways, I am in the middle of buying a Land Rover 300tdi engine with a 5 speed from the UK for my V8 Disco.
The present owner had the original turbo machined and modified for a bigger diameter turbine by a company in York. I dont know the details but I could find out if someone is interested.

Steve

Jason
02-12-2010, 04:34 PM
A 300tdi should be a cool setup! I'm not planning on modifying the turbo other than reclocking it. The exhaust housing isn't all that big compaired to the .63 T3 anyway. I know there are guys running a single HX40 which is much bigger than the 35. With the T3T4 under it to help it spool, there should be no problem.

Jason

Slobodan
02-14-2010, 05:26 PM
I think I am going to make something. Either Twin stock turbo's Or compound Stock with IHI/BorgWarner BIG turbo from a 6.5 GM Diesel (which I have these turbos allready. Maybe I'll build both setups and compare them.

Jason
02-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Twin stock turbos would probably work alright... I don't know if I would use the stocker with a bigger turbo like whats off a 6.5 though. I would be a little worried about drive pressure when they are spooled up. The exhaust side of the stocker is pretty small

Jason

Jason
03-01-2010, 09:23 AM
I don't think high drive pressure is going to be a problem with the size exhuast housing I'm running. A HX35 wont spool well with the huge exhaust housing. I had thought about a HE351 or the VGT option, but the T3T/4 is working well and pushing a couple pounds of boost into it will help it make a good 35psi. The T3/T4 I have is only rated to push 20lbs of boost efficiently. I'm already at that boost level. Yes the HE351 would do everything I want, but the compound turbo setup will look and sound cool. Its more for the wow factor. This is just a fun time car for me. I enjoy messing with the local diesel truck guys...

Jason

EvoStevo
03-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Bad match, a T3/T4 is much too large and will produce high drive pressures. You need a normal T3 as the HP turbo.

Right, it has its own. In addition to multiplying pressure ratios you're increasing intake temperatures. That means you'll need a beefier intercooler to reject that much heat.

If you've got a 2.0 pressure ratio for each turbo (30psi manifold), you'll have a 518*f discharge temperature instead of 400*f with a single turbo.

An HX35, HY35 or HE341 alone will provide everything you need; quick spooling, 35psi capability and cool discharge air.

I just found your build thread on superturbodiesel.com. Man, what an awesome read. It's too bad about what happened to your turbo. Hope you do decide to stick with the VGT. I really liked your actuation method. Anyway, just wanted to be the first to welcome you to the forums!

To everyone else, sorry for this off-topic post!