PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about turbocharging a D24.

corey_rhymes_with_orange
02-04-2010, 09:06 PM
I recently acquired a free 82 245 with a D24 from my boss:D So far I'm just using it for almost free transportation as I work at an independent auto repair shop and I'm running it on used ATF. haha. Anyway, I stumbled on to this site a few days ago and I've been glued to it since. I want to install a T3/T4 .50trim turbo, I know that I need a D24T exhaust manifold (anyone have one for sale?), but how should I run the oil supply and return? Would you suggest a T from the oil pressure sender and returning above oil level in the pan, or somewhere in the block? Boost controller? I'm thinking cheapy manual boost controller off ebay with a nice boost guage and EGT guage. Do I need to swap to the D24T injection pump for fuel enrichment under boost, or can I tweak the pump to supply enough for... say, 15 PSI? I know that others have done this, I just can't find a decent write-up on it. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Jason
02-05-2010, 04:54 AM
We just had another post like this from another new member... Take a look at his thread too. The stock oil outlet is off the oil filter mount. I don't know what the D24 NA mount looks like, maybe check and see if there is a plug there if its the same one. You need to tap the oil pan and return the oil pan. There really isn't much other choice, as the position of the turbo dictates where the drain is going to be, and obviously its not going to drain up hill! You can also adjust your injection pump to supply more fuel no problem. Take a look at the "more power" sticky. Also, you should install a oil cooler, you can use an adapter off a gas volvo that sandwhiches between the oil filter and filter mount, and run hoses up to a cooler. You may or may not need a boost controller depending on what PSI the waste gate is set at on the turbo you buy. If you are just going for more power and not pushing big boost (which isn't probably the best idea anyway on the NA block) I would stick with a stock turbo or a straight t-3. There are a couple stock turbo's for sale in the for sale section on here. For stock boost or a little more they are great, and spool very quickly with the small exhaust housing they have. It will really be a big difference in power.

Jason

RLDSL
04-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Of course there's always the option of remote mounting the turbo. You can mount it under the vehicle that way , you need a scavanger pump for the oil return THey make some nice elecrtic electric dry sump oil pumps for motorcycles that work nicely for this. then a blowoff valve and you're in business. Might be easier than trying to find a good set of D24t manifolds and having to yank the pan to drill and tap it.

Jason
04-01-2010, 03:49 PM
I think that would end up being quite a bit more work.. I could see doing that if there wasn't a way to mount the turbo in the engine compartment, but with a factory turbo manifold, its a pretty easy bolt in...

Jason

v8volvo
04-01-2010, 09:17 PM
I recently acquired a free 82 245 with a D24 from my boss:D So far I'm just using it for almost free transportation as I work at an independent auto repair shop and I'm running it on used ATF. haha. Anyway, I stumbled on to this site a few days ago and I've been glued to it since. I want to install a T3/T4 .50trim turbo, I know that I need a D24T exhaust manifold (anyone have one for sale?), but how should I run the oil supply and return? Would you suggest a T from the oil pressure sender and returning above oil level in the pan, or somewhere in the block? Boost controller? I'm thinking cheapy manual boost controller off ebay with a nice boost guage and EGT guage. Do I need to swap to the D24T injection pump for fuel enrichment under boost, or can I tweak the pump to supply enough for... say, 15 PSI? I know that others have done this, I just can't find a decent write-up on it. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Are you in Washington D.C. or WA state?

corey_rhymes_with_orange
01-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Wow, I haven't been on here in a while. I'm located in Washington State. The Volvo is still running strong but no turbo yet. I got a little side-tracked with a Rabbit diesel engine rebuild and a few gasser projects. Hopefully I can get this thing modified for a little more power because right now with all the hills around here I can't even maintain 55 mph.