PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of using a bigger turbo.

Slobodan
01-31-2010, 09:08 PM
I have used a .60/.36 T3 Garrett. Loved it until the seals went out and leaks oil badly. Now I am back to stock with a way badass intercooler setup. Totally loving that, however, I still don't like how tiny the turbo is. And I am going to have the opportunity to get a new turbo thanks to my tax return.

I am thinking something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/t3-t4-t66-turbo-charger-70-big-compressor-48-exhaust_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5885d0fc2fQQite mZ380202187823QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5f Accessories

I am thinking this because its cheap for being new, and Its huge so It will flow tons of air. Also the ease of installation. I will be changing the turbine housing to the stock .36 A/R wastegated housing. Just to keep it simple.

Jason
02-01-2010, 05:03 AM
Kevin,
you will need to swap the entire turbo, the stock wastegated exhaust housing wont fit that turbine wheel. The stock turbine wheel is an odd size and not a standart stage II or stage 1. Besides the tiny .36 A/R exhaust is what is restrictive with the little turbine wheel and tiny outlet. If you just swapped over the whole turbo, you would need to do an external waste gate. That was the turbo I was thinking about going to next, because of the even bigger compressor housing just for the noise, and has the .48 A/R exhaust, though I'm thinking the .63 is going to work fine once the M-46 is installed. FYI the stock turbine wheel also wont work (if you tried to use the new center, compressor, and stock turbine wheel and exhaust lets say) the shaft isn't long enough to accomidate the T4 compressor. The T4 is a good 1/4 or more thicker than the t3 compressor wheels.

I have tinkered with the chineese turbos quite a bit... My vote would be for a setup like I did with the internal waste gate already on it. You can get the interally wastegated t3/t4 with the .63 A/R exhaust housing just like what I'm running for around the same price. If its going in your car with the M46 I think you will be happy with it.

Jason

Jason
02-01-2010, 05:11 AM
How about that NA manifold???

Jason

Slobodan
02-01-2010, 05:11 PM
I've finally got one for you. Do you want me to have the end cap TIG welded up for you before I ship it? It will cost a little extra.

Jason
02-02-2010, 05:03 AM
Hey Kevin,
no need for the tig welding, I can do it myself but thanks for the offer! Did you come to a descision on a turbo?

Jason

cuaz64
02-03-2010, 05:03 PM
What about use an early .48 A/R exhaust housing from a Volvo gasser? plus a T4 compressor?

Jason
02-04-2010, 05:20 AM
I'm not sure if the gas volvo would have the same turbine wheel as the diesel does, but if it would swap on that would be nice, as I'm guessing it has the internal waste gate. As for the T4 compressor, its still not going to fit on the T3 turbine wheel and shaft, it wont be long enough. The T4 wheel is thicker than the T3, you wont have any threads sticking out to get the nut on.

Jason

Slobodan
02-07-2010, 09:01 PM
I found and purchased a TO4E T3/T4 with wastegated turbine housing New in Box.
Its a .50A/R comp with .63A/R turbine. Snagged it for a decent price too. like Half as much as that T66 I was thinking about.

The compressor has 3inch in and 2inch out which sounds very appealing to my needs. Once it arrives I'll snap some photos of it next to a stock D24T turbo for comparison. With any luck that should be around Friday afternoon.

Jason
02-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Thats what I'm running... I think you'll be happy with it. The spool is a little lazy with the auto as I said, but with the manual you should be good assuming you have the pump turned up. The compressor housing is going to dwarf the stocker! When you get them side by side you are going to laugh at how small the stock turbo is.

Jason

Slobodan
02-20-2010, 08:26 AM
It FINALLY showed up@@!@#!@# Oh my God TWO whole weeks to come from Cali to Oregon. What the hell?

Anyways Dyno day has been postponed till the end of March. so I've got time to break it in and be nice to it.

Slobodan
02-20-2010, 08:28 AM
http://www.d24t.com/picture.php?albumid=1&pictureid=39

http://www.d24t.com/picture.php?albumid=1&pictureid=40

Slobodan
02-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Ummm feels way different more like a stock 240 turbo gasser to be exact. No boost until 2,8rpm full boost @ 3,6rpm. I need a hell of a lot more fuel. === heh.

Jason
02-21-2010, 07:03 AM
More fuel, and what size exhaust did you do? I can make 10lbs of boost at 2500rpm and full boost at just over 3000. My fuel is turned up but I haven't removed the collar on main fuel screw yet...

Turn it up!

Jason

Slobodan
02-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Its the stock D24T downpipe, BUT, I had to swap the hook up for the conical flange. I'm going to drive it again right now.

Jason
02-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Ya i drove mine with the stock down pipe at first, going to the 3" made a big difference.

Jason

Slobodan
02-21-2010, 03:06 PM
I am really considering a compound turbo setup.

Jason
02-22-2010, 08:45 AM
You going to use the T3/T4 as the primary, or use it as the bottom turbo and put something even bigger on top like what I'm doing?

Jason

Slobodan
02-22-2010, 10:51 AM
I think, I will use the .48 gasser turbine with external wastegate. stock center, with the HT18 RX7 compressor .60 a/r as the first turbo (small one) then use the T3/T4 for the heavy breathing uptop. Not going to be crazy on boost but maintaining an even 15 psi and peaking to 20psi by the end would be very satisfactory.

Jason
02-22-2010, 11:57 AM
If thats all the boost your going for the T3T4 will supply that easily. If your not real happy with the spool and don't want to turn the fuel up, swap out the .63 ar exhaust to a .48. You will have the best of both worlds. Drive pressure will still be lower than the stock exhaust housing, it will spool faster than it does now and easily push 20 psi.

Jason

Slobodan
02-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Well after driving it around some more and some extended low boost cruising on the freeway, I think the turbo is finally breaking in. because I can make boost in 1st now more easily. and cruising boost @ 70mph is now 2psi which is about where I want it, stock turbo for reference was pushing 8psi at that speed on the flat. I know its not taxing the motor but I didn't like it because of the unneeded heat entering the motor.

I will forsure however, need to redo my exhaust. Its WAY loud now. hurts my ears loud. The turbo is sounding cool. I like huge turbine whine I get.

in conclusing if this turbo lasts I will probably stick with it. I do have another D24T on an engine stand, And I will be doing a twin setup with that motor... but thats another thread.

Jason
02-23-2010, 05:38 AM
I've been running the absolute shit outa mine now since last july or so with that turbo and the shaft play still feels good, nice and tight. So far no problems. I have put probably close to 10k miles on it.

Jason