PDA

View Full Version : D24T: Expensive to mantain?

cuaz64
01-23-2010, 07:16 AM
I want buy a 740 TD, but a friend with a lot of experience with Volvos, says that is more expensive to mantain than a gasser counterpart. Is that true? What I need to check in the 740 TD before buy it?

cuaz64
01-24-2010, 04:48 PM
emmm....nobody?

piper109
01-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Its not an easy question to answer. Much depends on the condition of the one you wish to own. If you go to the www.brickboard.com, find the 700/900 FAQ. There is an article on buying a diesel Volvo. Its not flattering. It seems that many died early because they were not run on sysnthetic oils.
I do not think a D24T vehicle is expensive to maintain but neither is a gas Volvo of the same age. Personally I cannot give a good comparison as I own only diesels.

The diesel gives you a different driving satisfaction but parts for them can be hard to find. Fortunately parts are not frequently needed.

Steve

Jason
01-24-2010, 06:49 PM
I don't see it costing much more... Both engines need routine timing belt changes, the diesel is just more involved. I suppose if you had to pay to have it done, then yes it costs more. If you can do it yourself, no so much. Other than that, I cant really see any other major thing that puts diesel volvos into a high cost range. Gas or diesel, if you buy one thats in disrepair its going to cost more to get going than if you just bought a nicer car in the first place. As steve said, the diesel gives a different driving satisfaction. I didn't buy a volvo diesel for better economy or because is more "green". I bought one because its a vw diesel engine and I'm a vw nut. I also enjoy tinkering with diesels in general, and I love the sound of the engine. The power is pretty good too.

Just my .02

Jason

cuaz64
01-25-2010, 04:23 PM
hmmm...I like the idea of the Volvo Diesel, because here, the diesel is slightly cheaper than gas, the VW engines, in general, are more popular (and have more parts suppliers than Volvo gassers), and I can get WVO free.

Jason
01-25-2010, 06:11 PM
I doubt you'll regret it. Really if you get a decent car, do some work to it and decide its not for you, I would doubt you will loose money on it if you would go to sell it. I bought it because of the engine, but ended up really liking the car. My original plans were never to actually do anything to the car other than straight pipe it and turn the pump up to blow smoke on the local imports... Since then, well I'm sure you have seen my posts!!!

Jason

v8volvo
02-02-2010, 12:03 AM
They are not expensive at all if you are smart about how you maintain them. The gassers can get quite spendy, with MAFs, oxygen sensors, electric fuel pumps, and other ignition and fuel injection bits that need service/replacement/repair at frequent intervals. When diesels need work, the spending tends to come in bigger chunks but if you keep the car in good shape those big bundles of spending will be few and far between. Just be intelligent about the maintenance you do: use good synthetic oil, quality parts, and make sure the engine is in a proper state of tune. Do timing belts right, set timing properly, etc. If you do all that, the car will never ask you for anything.

The diesels got their troublesome/expensive reputation not from their design, but because so many mechanics bungled them up. Then they started to run badly, break down and wear out. If you take care of it, it will be more reliable, longer-lasting, and cheaper to own than an equivalent gasser.... plus a lot more fun. :D