PDA

View Full Version : adding cruise control

NO_SPRK
01-10-2010, 04:30 AM
i was at my local pick n pull the other day and saw the same car as mine (85 740gle) but a gasser with cruise control. i was wondering if anyone has added on cruise control and if it was fairly easy and worth it. i do alot of highway driving and would love it

piper109
01-10-2010, 06:59 AM
I can tell you that my 92 wagon converted from gas had cruise on the gas version.
I had the actuator on my IP throttle assembly including the vacuum bellows on my 85 wagon engine as it came out of a 760 so I switched the pulley assemblies. It was a 6" putt for me.
I just hooked up the vacuum lines and it works great soits basically the same as used on gas cars.
I often make a 200 mile drive, largely on interstate so I use it and love it. Main reason I dont drive my 85 any more.

I would think its quite a lot of work to install on a car that never had it though, requiring lots of parts which might be hard to find, wiring etc.

Steve

cuaz64
01-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Here is a link about the topic:

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/CruiseControl.html#CruiseControlInstallation

Also, you can use a "universal" cruise control kit.

Jason
01-10-2010, 05:09 PM
How does that work anyway, I know its vacume operated to the canister on the throttle... Is it run off the speedo?

Jason

piper109
01-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Sort of. I think it uses the rear axle sensor.

Steve

lalozf
01-11-2010, 01:57 AM
there is an electrical conection to speedo. I have a car with control cruise but with a spedo without control cruise and do not run, I tried with a spedo with this conection and work fine.

NO_SPRK
01-13-2010, 09:41 AM
thanks guys. sadly i might have to sell my car now due to money problems. so no more upgrades for me right now. let me know if anyone is interested, ill post something in classifieds