PDA

View Full Version : Newb Questions. Bell housing same as a vw?

killa
01-03-2010, 06:14 AM
Hi folks, Im new here and have some questions.

My dad has a 1986 volvo wagon, tip top shape but he wants to swap out the inline six that comes with it to a 1.9 tdi, question is, is it the same bell housing since the inline six is a vw/audi motor?

Also, has anyone done this? the motor's automatic and the car's in Portugal, taken from the U.S. there in 1991

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Paul

piper109
01-03-2010, 09:20 AM
The d24T has the same bolt pattern as 5 and 6 cyl Audi engines (VAG) but different from the VW 4 cyl engines. The 1.9 can be made to fit the bellhousing of the 6 cylinder car (probably ZF transmission) but an adaptor plate will be needed.
Someone on the Turbobrick forum has put a 1.9 tdi into a 745 wagon but I believe it started life as a gas engine so the adaptor would be for a AW transmission probably.

If the 1.9 engine has ever been mated to a ZF 4hp22 transmission (maybe a Passat or some kind of Seat) then the bellhousing from that application could be swapped. It might be worth swapping the torque converter, valve body and the governor also as this would convert the Volvo wagon to have the best gearchanges etc for the 1.9 engine.
All the ZF 4hp22 transmissions are basically the same mechanically. The valve block and governor and torque converters make them adapt to different applications.

It would be less work to convert the D24T to D24TIC and keep the rest as is.
If you put a 1.9 tdi engine in, unless you convert the IP to mechanical you have to contend with the VW immobilizer system which means swapping the ECU and Dashboard also. This means you cant chip the engine and power would be about the same as the D24T.
Buy a nice more modern Eurodiesel car that are so easy to find there!!

good luck,

Steve

Eli
01-03-2010, 11:25 AM
As Piper said, the bellhousings for the D24/t and VW 4 cylinder diesels (TDI and earlier IDI). Althought the 5 cylinder variant out of Audi's has the same Bellhousing pattern as the D24/t.

There is someone on Turbobricks who has preformed this swap before. Here is a link to the thread about it:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=100369

He used a Toyota w58 trans with an adapter. These adapters can be found at:
http://www.acmeadapters.com/store_engine.php

I am not positive this is what the SDturbo from turbobricks used, but I believe ACME adapters has a good reputation. People drop these TDI's into all sorts of stuff. I am sure there is an engine management solution out there as well.

Good luck!

killa
01-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the info fellas, he already got a 2010 jetta tdi, the 2liter 16v turbo with the DSG trans, but he refuses to get rid of the volvo so we're looking to upgrade it.

I'll look into these options but i cant say that i know what the IC in the D24TIC is, can anyone tell me what is it?
Thanks

ngoma
01-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Turbo Inter Cooler

piper109
01-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Thats right. As well as having a turbo, the turbo air is passed through an intercooler in front of the radiator before going into the intake. The cooler intake air allows more boost pressure and fuel to be applied by the IP and provides about 20 HP more. Without the intercooler, there is a risk of overheating the pistons etc.
Later model 740 and 940 Volvo diesels had this setup in some European countries.
Italy and UK I know for sure. Probably Spain and Portugal too.

Steve

killa
01-06-2010, 05:36 AM
Thanks again for the answers, i know what a turbo and Intercooler do as i have very deep boost background but it's on the gas side, see one of my cars here, 500+ wheel hp: http://boostfactory.net/article.php?id=32

The car's is US Spec, your info has been great and i'll relay it to him.