PDA

View Full Version : Hi I am a newb after some advice

Benzsc1
12-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Hi all,

This is a great site and one I am glad I found let me explain,

I do not own a Volvo yet..... My father used to own a peach of a 740GLT but with the 2.3 Petrol in it anyways that not why I am here I live in the UK and am really a Merc entusiast but own a MK1 VW LT35 2.4 D which used the same D24 lump that is installed in your Volvo's. Now as you can iomagine there are limited sites dedicated to the VW LT the one there is I am a member of but there seems to limited tech knowledge when it comes to the engine but this site seems dedicated to in my opinion the best sounding diesel engine to emerage from the late seventies/eighties.

Right down to business the truck currently runs a stock D24 ACL code.

I have just bought a D24T DV code lump with a spare turbo but minus the fuel pump (Which I am told is different from the stock D24??? I was gonna switch this lump straight in.

Then I got offered a whilst looking for a D24T pump all the kit I am told to convert my engine to a D24TIC so I have bought all the bits.

Do I

a: Just convert my ACL D24 engine to run with the D24TIC parts is there a danger to me doing this noting that I am after all three plus points POWER/TORQUE and RELIABILITY

b: Do I just swap the engines over and put the D24T DV engine in to my truck and intercool it

or C: do I mix it up and build the best out of all the parts I have????

I hope one of you guys can assist here.

Like I said I am looking for the best combo of all three as I am sick of how slow the truck is with just the D24 in there.

Are there any other performance mods you guys can recommend I am also itrugued to find out about the oil squirters that are supposedly used in the D24T over the stock D24??

Regards

Simon

Jason
12-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Hello Simon,
This would be my .02 worth of advice, I'm sure others will chime it.

The standard D24 engine is different in a number of ways and not the best choice for adding a turbo+ic setup if you have a D24T engine available. The D24 engine does not have the piston oil squirters, which help cool the pistons. When under boost the engine generates quite a bit more heat and the oil helps carry it away from the pistons and also helps lubrication of the piston skirts. However the main draw back (in my opinion anyway) is the block casting itself. The D24T block was cast with a higher nickle content therefore much stronger. It also wears less because of the harder material. While many have added a turbo to a D24 and had success, the factory turbo engine is a much better setup. Make sure you have an oil cooler hooked up as well. I'm not sure what the factory setup is like with the D24 in the LT truck, but in the Volvo it doesn't have a oil cooler. If you want to run any more than stock boost (around 8psi) than the turbo block is the only way to go. I would doubt the NA engine would hold up very well to much more than stock boost and fueling.

The non turbo pump will work on the turbo engine, you just wont have the LDA (boost referenced housing on top of the pump) to help reduce low speed/low boost smoke. The overall potential output of the pump is the same, but if you have the turbo pump, as with the other parts it would be the better choice rather than the NA pump.

Once you get it swapped in, take a look over in the performance section for lots of info on pump mods, turbo stuff, intercooling options, etc... You will find plenty of engine tech info here!

Jason

Benzsc1
12-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the info Jason. Its great to find a site pretty much dedicated to 6this particular engine I thought it had been long forgotten!!

As long as you guys on here don't mind I may let the guys on the LT forum I am a member of know about this site the knowledge here I am sure will be invaluable.

I am thinking TBH to just use the D24T engine and maybe just either swap the to the D24 Cylinder heads over mine runs hydraulic lifters not sure if its best to go that route or just stick with the solid lifter D24T head and swap the N/A cam in?

Once again great site!!

piper109
12-30-2009, 05:18 AM
Hi Simon,
I too dont think modding your D24 engine for more power is a good idea, because of the propensity for the block to wear and the lack of piston squirters. You would be better off finding a D24T engine, especially if you tend to drive hard. Although I have seen LT's lots of times I have never looked under the bonnet. The D24T in the Volvo's sits at a different angle than the D24, for turbo clearance. This means the gearbox bell housing is different.
It is easy to swap the oil pump pick-up and sump between them but you would have to drill the sump and arrange an oil return from the turbo if you wanted to mate a Volvo D24T to your trannie. Not really difficult.
The injector pump is indeed different and putting a D24 IP on a D24T will not result in any more power as the diaphragm on the top gives you more fuel based on intake pressurisation. Putting an IP from a TIC engine would work but unless you have the intercooler you should limit the boost to what is standard for a D24T.
There is not much difference between the n/a cam shaft and the D24T cam shaft so I would be inclined to leave it stock. Valve adjustment is not needed frequently. I was not aware that any D24 engines had hydraulic lifters.

Where in Essex are you? I live in SC now but I grew up in S.E. Essex and served my apprenticeship at Hoffmans in Chelmsford, many many moons ago, but I still know the county well.

cheers Mate,

Steve

Benzsc1
12-30-2009, 06:08 AM
Hi Steve,

I was brought up in Chelmsford! I live just outside C/Ford now in Shalford Nr Braintree..... Small world we live in....

I am still suprised this site exists and there are other enthusiasts that own Volvo's or VW's with the D24.

Ok cool thanks for the advice slowly I am building a picture of what I am going to build.

I currently have all the bits I need I have the D24 engine which is still in the truck it came out of a much later van a 93 my truck is an 85 I also have a D24T engine and also in addition I have all the manifolds pipes intercooler and turbo off of a D24TIC so a good concoction of parts to begin with.

The way I understand it the D24 was originally designed to replace the old 4 cyl Perkins 2.7 diesel they originally installed into early LT vans and trucks the D24 was a much smoother more powerful and acoustically more pleasing alternative plus it was designed and built in house at Wolfsburg VW.

There are numerous engine codes as years went on with slight mods and improvments but although I really am no expert when it come to the Volvo variant of the D24 engines I believe though that essentially the engine codes would have changed as per the year they were manufactered although someone on here feel free to correct me here as I may be wrong.

The D24 in the truck right now is an ACT coded engine and this does have hydrualic lifters I changed mine out so I can vouch for that the earlier engine I had which I believe was a DW code had the solid shimmed lifters.

Here are the engine codes as I understand them in time order according to the old faithful source of Wikapedia

D24 engines
1S = D24 N/A
CP = D24 N/A
DW = D24 N/A
ACT = D24 N/A

D24T engines
DV = D24T

D24TIC engines
1E = D24TIC
1G = D24TIC
ACL = D24TIC

Anyway as not to bore you guys to tears I think there may be some good tips I can take to work on my engine luckily it does'nt matter whether its a N/A or a turbo lump in an LT the sump is no different.

I am interested to know where exactly the oil spray squiters are in situ to the pistons.

I just thought it would have been less work to mod the already in situ D24 but going on the advice here I think as a minimum I will go with the DV D24 block. Not sure though what to do about Valve lifters etc the Hydraulic lifters are quieter than the solid lifters not sure how they will fair up to turbo charging but my reckoning is there should be no difference?

Any thoughts guys

PS just to bore you some more I found the below on the Wiki may or may not be helpful to someone but thought I should share the knowledge. Apologies to MODS in advance if this is posted incorrectly.

2.4 D24 51-60kW
Main article: Volkswagen D24 engine
engine ID codes
1S, CP, DW, ACT
engine displacement & engine configuration
2,383 cubic centimetres (145.4 cu in) inline six engine; bore 76.5 x stroke 86.4 mm
cylinder block & crankcase
grey cast iron, seven main bearings
cylinder head & valvetrain
two valves per cylinder each with two concentric valve springs, belt-driven single overhead camshaft (SOHC) directly acting on shim-adjustable bucket tappet valve lifters, compression ratio 22.0:1
aspiration
cast aluminium alloy intake manifold, two cast iron exhaust manifolds
fuel system
mechanical distributor injection pump, indirect fuel injection into whirl chamber
DIN-rated motive power & torque outputs
51 kilowatts (69 PS; 68 bhp) - 1S, ACT
55 kilowatts (75 PS; 74 bhp) @ 4,000 rpm; 155 newton metres (114 ft·lbf) @ 2,800 rpm - CP, DW
60 kilowatts (82 PS; 80 bhp) @ 4,700 rpm; 145 newton metres (107 ft·lbf) @ 2,000 rpm - Volvo D24
applications
Volkswagen LT (CP: 08/78-11/82), (DW: 12/82-07/92), (1S: 08/88-07/92), (ACT: 08/92-12/95), Volvo 240, Volvo 740
[edit]

2.4 D24T 75-80kW
Main article: Volkswagen D24T engine
engine ID code
DV
2,383 cubic centimetres (145.4 cu in) turbodiesel inline six engine; bore 76.5 x stroke 86.4 mm
two valves per cylinder each with two concentric valve springs, belt-driven single overhead camshaft (SOHC) directly acting on shim-adjustable bucket tappet valve lifters, compression ratio 22.0:1
aspiration
cast aluminium alloy intake manifold, cast iron exhaust manifold, turbocharger
fuel system
mechanical distributor injection pump, indirect fuel injection into whirl chamber
75 kilowatts (102 PS; 101 bhp); 195 newton metres (144 ft·lbf) - DV
80 kilowatts (109 PS; 107 bhp) @ 4,800 rpm; 205 newton metres (151 ft·lbf) @ 2,500 rpm - Volvo D24T (non EGR)
applications
Volkswagen LT (DV: 12/82-07/92), Volvo 740, Volvo 760, Volvo 940
[edit]

2.4 D24TIC 63-90kW
Main article: Volkswagen D24TIC engine
engine ID codes
1E, 1G, ACL
2,383 cubic centimetres (145.4 cu in) turbodiesel inline six engine; bore 76.5 x stroke 86.4 mm
aspiration
cast aluminium alloy intake manifold, cast iron exhaust manifold, turbocharger, intercooler
fuel system
63 kilowatts (86 PS; 84 bhp) @ 4,000 rpm; 152 newton metres (112 ft·lbf) @ 2,500 rpm
68 kilowatts (92 PS; 91 bhp) - 1G
70 kilowatts (95 PS; 94 bhp) @ 4,000 rpm; 220 newton metres (162 ft·lbf) @ 2,000 rpm - 1E, ACL
85 kilowatts (116 PS; 114 bhp) @ 4,000 rpm; 210 newton metres (155 ft·lbf) @ 2,400 rpm
85 kilowatts (116 PS; 114 bhp) @ 4,000 rpm; 220 newton metres (162 ft·lbf) @ 2,400 rpm
90 kilowatts (122 PS; 121 bhp) @ 4,800 rpm; 235 newton metres (173 ft·lbf) @ 2,400 rpm - Volvo D24TIC (non EGR)
applications
Volkswagen LT (1E, 1G: 08/88-07/89), (ACL: 08/91-12/95), Volvo 740, Volvo 760, Volvo 940

Si ;)

piper109
12-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Lots of good info there !
I have rebuilt a DV and I own another. Fortunately they are both in good running order and I have just resealed the second IP.

The squirters are built into the block and you can see them if you remove the oil pan.
They are midway between the bearing journals and held in place by 2 screws. The block must be drilled specially for them.
A small diameter pipe with a 90 degree elbow in it points the oil up inside the pistons.
Its my understanding that oil squirts upwards to cool the pistons but only once the oil flow and pressure have reaches a threshold value.

cheers, Steve

Jason
12-30-2009, 10:24 AM
You could probably install squirters, but it would be alot of work and time wasted in my opinion. The stock turbo block is still a stronger better alloy and thats what really makes it better. If your going for more power its a must. The NA blocks also had problems with head bolt threads pulling out, also because of the softer block. The hydrolic head would probably be nice, but probably not worth the effort of taking both engines apart unless you need to take the head off anyway.

Also don't worry about posting too much, I have company that hosts the forum gives me unlimited storage space!

Jason

Jason
12-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Simon,
also feel free to spread the word about the D24T forum around the LT community. As I said the forum is mostly here for the engine, though obviously there is Volvo specific sections as well. Anything D24 powered is welcome. The whole idea here is to keep these things on the road!

Jason