PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Injecton pump belt is too tight

samstuder
12-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi all
I'm Sam Studer in Morro Bay ca. I'm finishing up a rebuild (pics to come). The fuel injection pump belt is too tight. Any clue on how to adjust it?:confused:

piper109
12-28-2009, 01:48 PM
This is sometimes difficult.
Essentially the IP bracket is slotted.
It will be necessary to loosen the 3 bolts that attach the IP bracket to the block. 2 are between the pump and the block and you need an open end wrench on them. The third you can reach under the pump with a socket etc.
Then you will need to loosen the bolt on the output end of the pump, where it attaches to an angle bracket with a tapered sleeve etc. It will also be necessary to loosen all the 6 injector pipes,(I would loosen them both ends) otherwise the pipes will fight you.

With all that loose, you can in principle slide the bracket upwards and it will loosen the belt. I have never found it easy to do though.

Good luck, Steve

v8volvo
12-28-2009, 03:57 PM
It is very, very difficult if you try to do it by hand but actually very easy if you have some sort of additional support system. I just use an engine hoist. Attach a chain from the cherrypicker to the lifting eye at the rear of the pump bracket then also sling some additional support somewhere else, and it'll move like it weighs nothing. Otherwise, trying to wrestle the whole pump/bracket/lines assembly upward is a real chore and tough on your back, since it is in a location where you have to lean way over the rest of the engine bay. It's also tough to position it just where you want it when doing it by hand.

An engine hoist is ideal if you have access to one, but a chain hoist is great as well, or even just a come-along hooked up to a rope slung over a tree branch will do the job. If you try to fight the battle without some kind of support from above, it will be ugly.

Slobodan
12-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Reallly??????????

wow. I don't mean to come off as a know it all.. or whatever.. but I have never had it be difficult or a chore. I've worked on a fair amount of these D24 engines.