PDA

View Full Version : Steve in SC

piper109
12-23-2009, 06:31 AM
I knew about this forum when it first started but somehow never joined. I got busy with other projects and my father passed away, my wife retired, so I am still somewhat distracted.
My name is Steve. I live in Columbia SC. Engineer.

I have 2 wagons, one is an 85 745 with D24T which I converted from auto to manual with an M46-o/d with parts from Canada. Also converted to WVO.

Second is a 1992 745 Turbo wagon that I converted to diesel using a D24T with ZF auto from a ratty 85 sedan I found in Anderson SC. I scrapped the rest of the sedan mostly and I sold the good Turbo gas engine. Gasser trannie was bad.

I get about 31.5 mpg with the manual. I still have the auto rear axle so the engine runs at high rpm, especially over 80 mph.
I get about 27 mpg with the converted gasser. The rear axle is the original in the car but as its a locker I kept it. Ratio is a bit steeper than the stock diesel axle. A sweet ride though.
Most of my trips are to the Blue Ridge in NC and I tend to cruise at 80. Bit of a leadfoot I'm afraid. I learnt to drive in London and I have lived in France, Swizerland and Germany and tend to drive as Europeans tend to.

Daily driver is 2003 VW Golf tdi + chip.

Steve

Jason
12-23-2009, 08:28 AM
hello steve. i recognize your name and location from the d24 mailing list. welcome to the forum! i think you will like the format here. while i still participate in the list i think its a little outdated... Jason

piper109
12-23-2009, 08:38 AM
hello steve. i recognize your name and location from the d24 mailing list. welcome to the forum! i think you will like the format here. while i still participate in the list i think its a little outdated... Jason

Hi Jason, Thanks for the welcome.
At my age, I can handle outdated.:D