PDA

View Full Version : a pair of 262C Bertone Turbo Diesels????

NJTy180
03-04-2017, 06:11 PM
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/6008469939.html

are these even real? I didn't even think the D24T was even available in the US until 1983, forget 1980.

I was able to pull the VIN from the '81 and it comes back as a 2.1L 4 cylinder from the factory.

1981 Volvo 260
VIN: YV1BX6975BD008544
Style / Body: Coupe 2D Engine: 2.1L I4 MPI
Country of Assembly: Sweden

anders
03-04-2017, 07:17 PM
No, those cars have been swapped.

NJTy180
03-05-2017, 06:54 AM
weird, I initially found these searching on my phone, the word "swaps" in the title was completely cut off, but I can see it now, oops.

if they were a little closer, a little cheaper and I didn't already have 11 vehicles, I'd go and grab them for parts.

v8volvo
03-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Must have been an odd kind of logic that led building not just one but two of these.

Not too simple either, since none of the 700 series transmissions bolt into a gasser 200 series, and the V6 mounting (trans crossmember etc) is quite different from the 4cyl engines let alone the diesels. V6 transmission is much further forward, driveshaft and shift linkages much longer, etc. Realistically for each of these, to do it easily would probably have required taking apart two different parts cars for each Bertone -- an NA 200 series diesel donor for mounting, cooling, transmission, driveline parts, oil pan and ancillaries, etc and a 700 series TD (or the engine at very least) to donate the turbo engine. Quite a commitment to do even one car let alone two. His/Hers??

The VIN callup saying 2.1L 4cyl is off too, to my knowledge these chop-top Bertones only ever came with the PRV V6.

RedArrow
03-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Must have been an odd kind of logic that led building not just one but two of these.
Realistically for each of these, to do it easily would probably have required taking apart two different parts cars for each Bertone...

Quite a commitment to do even one car let alone two.

`Love is blind.`
He must have been a true&maniac dieseler, or a Volvo tech, or both. Worse (?or better?:) ) than us. :)
Rare build(s), for sure. Very interesting. Too bad they rusted to death.

780 Bertone cars did come with the TD engine w m46 in Europe, but I never heard of any 2-door 200 Volvo being diesel (from factory), especially not td. Nice projects.

R.Mojica
03-07-2017, 04:17 AM
I saw the listing for these cars late last week. Friend of mine wanted to split the cars but wanted me to go pick both of them up which is at least a four hour trip. Plus I already have 9 cars at my house 2 at his. I said to him, where are we going to put these cars and he was like yeah you're right. It Would be cool to get these things running again. The black one seems pretty rusty but would make a cool rat rod.