PDA

View Full Version : 740 TD doesn't start anymore

Pikix
12-15-2016, 07:54 AM
Hi, I just bought a 740 TD who isn't use for 2 years.
When I bought her, she start well and I bring her at home by the road (30 km and she ran very well).

But the next day, impossible to start her and there is a white smoke at the exhaust.

What can be the possible reason ?:confused:

(Sorry for my english :p)

S&W 629
12-15-2016, 05:59 PM
Sounds to me that the glow plugs are either not working or not staying on long enough. My Ford F-250 diesel truck has a glow plug relay that does not allow the glow plugs to stay on long enough and it blows white smoke during difficult starts. I turn off the ignition and make glow plug contact several times (turning the ignition switch off and on several times in a row) to start this truck in cold weather and it blows the white smoke until it starts.

ngoma
12-15-2016, 10:25 PM
See this sticky

Hard Starting (http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1225)

Report back with what you find.

Pikix
12-17-2016, 09:58 PM
I already try to put the ignition several times before to start but no success, start pilot isn't helping to.
I will test every Gp and connect them directly to the battery and we'll see ;)

Pikix
12-19-2016, 04:44 AM
Hi
So I test the GP, one is HS, (probably two with the n°6), it should be enough for start but the tension at the plug when warming is under 11v, is that normal ?

I have the impression that my starter doesn't take the speed necessary to start, my battery is new and I check the wire.
From where that could be from ?

Thanks

BluevanACD2005
12-20-2016, 08:20 AM
at the plug when warming is under 11v, is that normal ?

I would say yes. They draw a lot of current and will drop the voltage a little. You need pretty much all glow plugs working and the engine turning over quickly to expect it to start easily.

-Spenser

ngoma
12-20-2016, 09:56 AM
I have the impression that my starter doesn't take the speed necessary to start, my battery is new and I check the wire.
From where that could be from ?
Failing starter motor? The original small Hitachi starters do not endure long cranking sessions well.

Pikix
12-22-2016, 11:37 AM
It's starting !!! :D Thanks everyone ;)

After a complete cleaning of all starter connection, it's start well except that the solenoid don't disengage for 3 or 4 seconds...

RedArrow
12-22-2016, 07:33 PM
I broke teeth on flywheel thanks to a bad stupid starter OR BAD WIRING (?).
Careful with bad connections. LOL. Nice to have it running , right?
Enjoy the forum...and share pictures!

Pikix
12-24-2016, 01:19 PM
Hell yeah that's so good :p
Electrical seem to be crappy I don't have ventialtion, my wipers move when I put light, my dashboard's lights isn't working, as the gauge tank... :D
But she run !!!