PDA

View Full Version : Powerrrr

Scuby
07-18-2016, 04:24 PM
soooooo. Did some looking about and there are a few good tweakes here and there. great forum.

Got my self a 96 940 D24TIC the other day.

First thing I did was turn up the main screw on the pump to the verge of runaway and backed off. Haven't popped the top off yet or messed with the ramp on the plunger.

Now, right off the bat this thing TRANSFORMED. Mostly the feel but it really got a lot quicker. Judging by the fact that top has been off but not messed with (yellow paint in tact and aligned) but the main fueling adjuster wasn't tightly seated I'd say it's been turned up and then down again for selling.

Either way, starts on the button, sounds great, runs great. EXCEPT:

Up to 3k RPM is slow and feels flat, then BOOOOOM goes the boost.

I've read removing the factory BOV will help, I plan on installing a BMC, but just did a quick pinch of the vac. line to the BOV and even more fun. Wooop! However, all that fun still only kicks in around 3k RPM and above.

Maybe my turbo is knackered :eek: although it's building boost and whistling away in the upper RPM's, you'd expect the oposite if it were bad....

What to do about this, any ideas?

thanks!

Scuby
07-20-2016, 10:21 AM
anyone any ideas?

lowandsmokey
07-20-2016, 10:26 PM
Possibly an idea...

You could try winding the spring on the lda pin a few clicks down. Could be its not getting enough fuel to boost fast enough. When mine had the stock turbo felt pretty instant

Scuby
07-23-2016, 07:45 AM
it's pretty far in. Just about level with the nut.

It really lags up to 3k. Turned it in a litle and it lags untill about 2700 now. But I can't imagine I should turn it in muc more. From what I've seen it's pretty well in there compared to others.

I'm getting a boost gauge on there soon. Once it start to build boost it really want to get going and I can hear the turbo whistling nicely. Before that it feels very much NA.

Removing the blow off valve any help?

ngoma
07-24-2016, 08:35 PM
Hope this doesn't look like those standard forum response "They all do that." But-- They seem to be doggy until around 2500 RPM or so.

Anyway, continuing on lowandsmokey's line of thought:

Is it smoking? Under what conditions? RPM/Load? Has the orientation of the rubber LDA diaphragm (and more importantly, the resultant orientation of the ramped pin) changed?

From what I've seen it's pretty well in there compared to others.
Sorry, I must have missed something, but::::: What are you comparing it to?

Scuby
07-26-2016, 02:21 PM
Hope this doesn't look like those standard forum response "They all do that." But-- They seem to be doggy until around 2500 RPM or so.

Anyway, continuing on lowandsmokey's line of thought:

Is it smoking? Under what conditions? RPM/Load? Has the orientation of the rubber LDA diaphragm (and more importantly, the resultant orientation of the ramped pin) changed?

Sorry, I must have missed something, but::::: What are you comparing it to?

Hmmm. I'll have to tweak the LDA more thoroughly and adjust. Mine does seem doggy untill 2750rpm. Then it starts to pull hard.

Anything to be done besides a turbo that starts to build boost more quickly? Some knid of hybrid...

Anyone?

Form in car youtube vids I can see that minde doesn't pull as hard low down, but up top it's pretty mean already and I've got a Holset off a Cummins for it soon. BTW, where does one get a 12mm head for the pump?

thanks

ngoma
07-26-2016, 09:41 PM
BTW, where does one get a 12mm head for the pump?
Try anders
12mm "super pump" head/rotor, ARP head studs, GTD nozzles (http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1646)

08-20-2016, 02:01 PM
Your wastegate valve could be slightly open thus not building boost fast enough, I had that on my previous car.

ian2000t
09-02-2016, 04:04 AM
Your wastegate valve could be slightly open thus not building boost fast enough, I had that on my previous car.

How would you check this? Was that from a defective wastegate valve, or badly adjusted actuator arm?

11-18-2016, 12:05 PM
How would you check this? Was that from a defective wastegate valve, or badly adjusted actuator arm?

Hey, I'm sorry for the late response ^^

I had only figured it out when I removed the turbo and saw the valve and the surface on which it sits with my own eyes, I didn't even have any suspicions before that but fixing it helped. I might be wrong but I think the valve shaft was bent or the bushing was worn, I don't remember but it wasn't the actuator.