PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Jacksonville, FL (USA)

Texidor1
09-30-2015, 05:48 AM
My name is Julio.
I presently own a 1985 Volvo 740 GLE with the D24t engine.
Bought the car recently with a bad injection pump. Got a rebuilt one with the car.
Working to get the car running again.
I love diesel cars. This is my second diesel. Used to own a 1984 MB 300TD.
Now I am having fun with this 740.
I live in Jax, FL. Get in touch with me if you coming down here.

v8volvo
10-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Welcome to the board!

I remember there was a member here a few years ago with a silver '85 740 TD sedan in Florida -- Orlando, I think -- who had some injection pump problems. Perhaps you ended up with the same car?

Replacing the injection pump is relatively straightforward on one of these, although it does demand a few special tools and procedures for setting the timing. The Volvo greenbooks do a good job describing the procedure and are available online - good place to start if you haven't already explored them.

Don't hesitate to ask questions here if you run into any snags during the job. One trouble spot folks sometimes run into when doing this particular repair is setting TDC 180* out of phase when timing the injection pump, so watch out for that. A key rule of thumb is that these engines should start very easily when everything is right, but if something's not set up right, it won't start at all, and nothing you do will get it going until it's corrected. If it doesn't fire right up instantly once you get the new pump installed, timed, and primed, then go back and recheck your work to see what needs to be changed. Since you already know diesels, you probably know that you must not ever use starting fluid, at any time, for any reason, whatsoever. I've personally seen more one than D24 and D24T engine get ruined during this exact job -- a fuel pump replacement -- by frustrated mechanics who got the timing wrong, couldn't get the engine to start, and thought that just a whiff or two of starting fluid was what was needed. Don't go there!!! If it's not cooperating, or if you need advice on how to buy or borrow the special tools that are *required* in order to successfully install the pump and get the engine to run afterwards, just ask here and you'll find many members ready to help.

Texidor1
10-04-2015, 05:44 AM
V8volvo,
Thank you for reply.
I got the car at TDC and found that the pump is not complete.:confused:

There are some parts missing. The bracket that holds the throttle spool and another bracket that goes by the fuel lines connection to the pump.

The previous owner from Orlando removed the old pump and did not remove such parts to dress the new one.

I will call VOLUPARTS tomorrow to see if they got them. Hope that happens.
I am ready to set timming on the pump but those parts are missing.
Will keep you guys posted.:)

anders
10-04-2015, 06:57 PM
If you need the throttle linkage parts/bracket I'm sure I got one. If you have no luck finding one.

Texidor1
10-05-2015, 08:07 AM
These are the parts that I need:

- fuel strainer that goes inside the fuel tank.

- injector overflow lines.

- adapter for the dial indicator to tune the injection pump. I got the gauge, need the adapter to setup the gauge to the pump.

- (both) the cooling hoses attach to a part into the pump. I need that part. Do not know the name. Also, that part holds the throttle spool.

- rear sprocket-gear of the camshaft. Must have two male notches to hook to the camshaft. The one in my engine is similar to the pump sprocket-gear. Does not have the notches.

- fuel line that goes from the filter (output) to the injection pump (input).

- Connection pipe. (part 1328448). It is plastic. It holds the return cooling line to the injection pump.

Please help me.
You may call or txt me at 904-304-0523.:)

anders
10-05-2015, 11:07 AM
These are the parts that I need:

- fuel strainer that goes inside the fuel tank.
I will take a look to see what I got.

- injector overflow lines.
I use 1/8" fuel line

- adapter for the dial indicator to tune the injection pump. I got the gauge, need the adapter to setup the gauge to the pump.
I do not have a spare

- (both) the cooling hoses attach to a part into the pump. I need that part. Do not know the name. Also, that part holds the throttle spool.
I should have all of those.

- rear sprocket-gear of the camshaft. Must have two male notches to hook to the camshaft. The one in my engine is similar to the pump sprocket-gear. Does not have the notches.
The sprocket does not have notches. It stays in time/ in place from friction, I time all my engines by rotating that sprocket.

- fuel line that goes from the filter (output) to the injection pump (input).
Do you have the banjo fittings?

- Connection pipe. (part 1328448). It is plastic. It holds the return cooling line to the injection pump.
I'm not exactly sure what this is.

Please help me.
You may call or txt me at 904-304-0523.
I will try sending you a text when I get a chance.

Texidor1
10-05-2015, 12:36 PM
Let me know what you have.:D

I do not have any banjo fittings.:confused:

The part that I need you can see it in the website home pic. It is the gold/beige part in color with the actual part that attach to the cooling lines. The throttle spoll goes on top of it.:)

Texidor1
10-06-2015, 05:40 AM
****COLD START DEVICE****

It is the name of the part that I am looking for the injection pump.:)

(both) the cooling hoses attach to a part into the pump. I need that part. Do not know the name. Also, that part holds the throttle spool.

Let me know if you have one available for sale.:D

Texidor1
10-06-2015, 10:27 AM
Anders,

Attached is the pic of my injection pump.
So far I believe the part missing is the cold start device with the bracket.:)
I have the throttle spool.

anders
10-06-2015, 10:36 AM
There is quite a bit missing. Most concerning is the throttle lever on the injection pump itself. Not knowing the orientation of the lever to the shaft you could be in for some troubles.
Is this injection pump any good?
If it came from a licensed bosch rebuilder it would have the cold start and the throttle lever attached and set.

Texidor1
10-06-2015, 10:42 AM
Anders,
I bought the car without the original pump. The previous owner (ignorant) took it out and disposed.
I got a rebuilt one that the previous owner bought from a guy in Oregon.

anders
10-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Did it come with the throttle lever?

Texidor1
10-06-2015, 10:56 AM
This is all.
The spool and a linkage.

Julio.