PDA

View Full Version : Turbo or rings broken?

lalozf
11-22-2009, 12:14 AM
I have a problem, my brick, throws white smoke in certain conditions.
normal idle I can not see white smoke.
starting from cold a big white cloud comes out from the exhaust, and then no smoke
at hihgways, e,g. 2000 rpm 4th gear when I push the throttle to the end fast a white cloud to the people, at normal speed throttle medium or low I can not see white smoke
thanks

IceV_760
11-22-2009, 02:03 AM
Either the gasket or head is broken,
since it pushes coolant to cylinders when you give it more gas.
Turbo would blow blue smoke since it aint water cooled in any
d24, and white smoke is a mark of coolant leak :/

So, either gasket, or what i fear, your cylinder head has been broken.
Have you checked coolant amount?

lalozf
11-22-2009, 07:52 AM
the coolant level is ok, I have checked many times from another problem. but oil goes down, 1 litre every 5000 km (.264 gallons per 3107 miles)
maybe the white smoke I see through the window is blue color?

Jason
11-23-2009, 06:29 AM
They use oil, I wouldn't worry about that. If its a puff when you accelerate, it could be the rings, the guides are worn and the cylinders are getting oiled up, or the turbo could be blowing oil. Either way, the crank case vent is dumping oil into the intake which ends up being burnt too. My car smokes white when cold, thats no issue at all. I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets noticeably worse.

Jason

lalozf
11-23-2009, 02:21 PM
thank you very much, i feel better now. anyway i bought a IC from a 940 d24tic. I know it is a bit bad, but it cost me 10 bucks.
and another garret from a 940, i will change it to try. before opening

v8volvo
11-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Incorrect (retarded) injection timing will cause white smoke as well, especially on a cold start. Will also be caused if your cold start advance device is not working or has been disconnected. Check/fix those things and I bet your issues will be much improved.

White smoke is not caused by oil, and it could only be caused by coolant if the coolant level were going down, which you said it is not. That means it is being caused by inefficient combustion of fuel, and that is caused by three things: worn injectors, incorrect timing, or low compression. Those are your three places to look for your issue.