PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the T-5?

chad1966
08-24-2015, 03:48 PM
I dont want to go through all the work and $ to upgrade to a T-5 to have it only be slightly stronger than the stock M46. I am looking at this company as a gear set option.

http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp

T-5 Helical-Cut Dog Ring option would be AWESOME to NEVER lose any boost while up-shifting.

" the G-Force Street 5-Speed kit will handle roughly 600 hp or 500 ft-lb. of torque in a 3300 lb. vehicle running drag radials at the track with a moderate clutch upgrade"

Seems more than adequate for our aplications.

R.Mojica
08-26-2015, 06:08 AM
if you view ratio chart you can also customize 5th gear. A .59 5th gear would be awesome for highway cruising.

anders
08-26-2015, 03:03 PM
A stock world class t-5 with the 2.95 gear set is rated at 300 lbs of torque. I think the m46 is good for around 200?

745 TurboGreasel
08-27-2015, 11:55 AM
If I were to spend thousands on a transmission, I'd want to solve the whole problem, and come out of it with 6 gears.

chad1966
08-27-2015, 08:57 PM
If I were to spend thousands on a transmission, I'd want to solve the whole problem, and come out of it with 6 gears.

I totally agree, although I am in a unique situation as my dad owns and operates a transmission shop here in town. He has been doing trannys for 45+ years. So I can get parts at cost and labor is well really really cheap, if you know what I mean.

I actually have a fully built T-56 with a larger viper input shaft sitting and waiting to go into my 66 nova. I am half tempted to put it into my Volvo, but then I come back down to reality and realize that trans is worth more than the car.

My dads friend actually has a couple G-force gear sets that he wants to get rid of because of the popularity and strength of the 6 speeds the t-5 market is a thing of the past.

I probably would never put a 6 speed in my Volvo unless I got a really really killer deal on one. I just want a manual that I can beat on from time to time and not have to worry about it going ka-bang!!!!