PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Hose for '84 D24

DieselScout
06-16-2015, 07:58 AM
My coolant host burst driving up a hill; I immediately turned off the engine when the temp needle pinned in the red. I've never seen that much smoke come out of my engine bay before....

Hopefully everything is still working with no damage (I haven't tried starting it since...)

So I need a new hose.

Anyone have a spare hose or know where I can buy a "new" hose if possible?

v8volvo
06-16-2015, 10:03 AM
Those hoses are NLA but not too hard to homebrew with a few right-angle sections and a reducer union.

It probably failed due to fuel leaking on it -- you'll want to fix that cracked injector line too, of course, and might want to check out other hoses to make sure there aren't more time bombs elsewhere.

Temp gauge went all the way up? Might want to start it and just make sure it still runs normally before jumping into repairs. Run it for no more than a minute, with the coolant tank cap on and that broken hose left broken and open just like it is, to make sure it's not puffing exhaust out the end of that hose, running differently, or showing any other odd symptoms. These engines really don't like getting hot, sounds like you caught yours quickly which is good, but worth knowing where you're at and checking it out a bit.

Yamahapro
06-20-2015, 10:41 PM
I have a nice one.

DieselScout
07-01-2015, 02:22 PM
Folks, I really need this hose. Does anyone have one?
This car is my daily driver.

v8volvo
07-14-2015, 07:30 AM
Did you find a hose and fuel injector pipe yet?

Making the hose from scratch using FLAPS parts is easy.

As I said before, though, I'd want to focus first on replacing the broken fuel line and getting the engine running to see whether it blew the headgasket or not. You said it pegged the temp gauge when that hose broke, which can mean trouble. I'd try to assess the situation ASAP and see if you may need some other parts too.

DieselScout
08-08-2015, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I eventually got a bunch of adapters and put everything back together, seems to running fine.

RedArrow
08-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Nicely done. Lucky that you caught it happening and acted inmediately. I had a similar experience that quickly scared the s...t out of me