PDA

View Full Version : 1985 740 D24T with M46

sampson
01-20-2015, 08:40 PM
First, id just like to say thanks to all those who have posted and made this site possible. Although i registered just the other day, this has been an invaluable resource while fixing up my first volvo.

Here is the ad: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/4851685185.html

I bought the car from a friend of mine who purchased it for his girlfriend. She drove it for a bit then bought a honda element and the volvo sat for about a year and a couple of months.
Car is originally from Houston TX and most of the maintenance records are from the dealership there although there are substantial records after Texas.
When I got it, I had it towed to my house not wanting to start it without a few precautions. I siphoned out almost all of the diesel from the tank filled it up with fresh fuel, blew out the lines, changed the soft fuel lines with the exception of the clear line that goes to the IP from the fuel filter, changed the oil, changed the oil filter, changed the air filter. Started up slow but ran great just needed glow plugs.
Changed out the glowplugs (not wanting to potentially mess with the timing i didnt remove the IP and that job took a solid day), the shift knob was loose and the wires and button for the overdrive were not there so i wired that up and found a button, flushed the cooling system with an air compressor and a couple gallons of distilled water then replaced lower hose and filled back up with zerez g05 and distilled water mix 50/50.
Tires are not new but have been driven a couple hundred mile. Previous owner replaced all four right before she stopped driving it then parked it in the shade.
In the interest of full disclosure-- Dash has a few cracks. The cabin headlamp had fallen out of the particle board headliner so i glued a small peice of all thread to the roof metal and bolted it in place, it works. I noticed a very slow oil leak at the drain plug and havnt even tried to tighten it yet ill get to it by the end of the week. The front end makes a noise and i bought new lower control arm bushings which helped but its still there i think it might be a shock bushing. The seats are in really good shape but there are a few spots that need attention (really not that sever). Timing belts were replaced at 50k according to records and po claims he also did it but there are no records to support his claim.

Id love for this car to go to someone who knows what it is and how to keep it going with the proper attention and know how. Get in touch with me with offers questions or whatever else. Thanks!

745 TurboGreasel
01-21-2015, 08:42 PM
I saw that this morning, looks a nice package.
Shoulda posted up earlier I would have lent you my glow plug wrenches.

How long ago in years was the alleged timing belt job?

sampson
01-22-2015, 09:17 PM
I saw that this morning, looks a nice package.
Shoulda posted up earlier I would have lent you my glow plug wrenches.

How long ago in years was the alleged timing belt job?

I honestly dont know. I ill get in touch with him and get back to you

Volvoist
01-25-2015, 03:59 PM
Good looking car! Too bad it is on the opposite coast... GLWS!

sampson
02-03-2015, 04:34 PM
I talked with my friend who owned the car before me and he told me he doesnt remember if he even changed the timing belt