PDA

View Full Version : D24 N/A Vs D24T Cam

77volvo245
11-03-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm hearing that the D24 N/A cam is more aggressive than the D24T. So what people would do is put a N/A cam in their turbodiesel. Is this really ture and how much improvment is this? I've also seen Turbodiesel cams break in the motor, they must be weaker than a D24 cam.

IceV_760
11-03-2009, 09:00 AM
I believe they are not any weaker. Just the nature of td can cause breaking,
i mean, this i really dead until turbo kicks on, and then it receives pretty big boost, you can feel it. That over and over again weakens cam.
Im not sure if i remember correctly, but was it so at by chaingeing cam you gain 4% more power. Im not sure then. I think its too time consuming progress to do, until you have bigger liquid head and turbo, then i might agree the time it takes to change cam.

reed
11-03-2009, 11:58 AM
I have only seen d24 cams break when the timing belt pops or jumps. With the valves straight down when they hit the piston the piston drives the valve up and breaks the cam. the specs for lift are the same turbo and na intake 8.5mm exhaust 9.0mm. I am unable to find any marks on the cams to tell them apart. When rebuilding mine I put in a na cam. I have one turbo cam and another cam but I don't know if it is out of turbo or na. Please post if you get specs for duration or overlap.

cuaz64
11-05-2009, 04:38 PM
hmmm...based on info from Tom Bryant, the D24 cam give around of 2% more power.

reed
11-05-2009, 04:53 PM
What is different in specs? Is it the seat of the pants dyno or hard numbers?

v8volvo
11-05-2009, 06:23 PM
My recollection from some discussion of D24T vs D24 cams that occurred a couple years ago on the email list is that the lift and duration is similar, but the D24 cam opens and closes both intake and exhaust valves a degree or two sooner. Effectively just slightly more advanced cam timing. I set my D24T cams to the advanced edge of normal and it maybe gives me a little more low-end snap. Basically, though, the two cams are very similar.