PDA

View Full Version : Tool / manual rental?

Avocadofarmer
11-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi

I've got an 83 NA engine with a bad head gasket. I don't think the head is cracked / warped, because it has not been overheated. What are the chances of being able to just change the gasket and being good to go?

Also, can I rent the tools and manual from anyone on here?

On the TDIclub, we have a system for sharing/renting timing belt tools, wondering if that was an option here....

Thanks!

cuaz64
11-02-2009, 05:58 PM
hmmm...D24 or D24T engine?

v8volvo
11-02-2009, 06:31 PM
All the NA 240 manuals are available as pdfs online at kjet.org.

Tools are a little more difficult. Almost nobody has them. I suggest finding an old mechanic with gray hair at an old independent Volvo repair shop near you and asking him if he knows anyone who has the tools. Chances are he will immediately start cursing at you for even bringing up the subject of diesel engines in Volvos. Most Volvo guys think the diesels are an abomination, a sort of bastard child.... those of us around here feel differently but we are unfortunately in the minority.

Dealer service depts may also still have a few bits stashed away in some back room where they haven't been touched for 15 years. I have spent hundreds of hours chasing D24 tools and my set is still not complete. As a last resort they are still available new through Volvo but it's big $$$.

For certain things, the cheap old VW tools work OK (cam locking plate, pump timing instruments) but for doing a head job you'll need the two crank sprocket tools and the two cam sprocket tools and those are unique and cannot be substituted. I know people that have successfully made the tools from scratch but I don't know if you are equipped to do that.

IceV_760
11-03-2009, 05:59 AM
You dont need _ANY_, i mean _ANY_ special tool.
Ive been laughing myself good times when people been asking special tools all time. Only special tool you need is friend. Without tools you most likely neeed 2 to complete it. And with 4mm thick piece of something straight, you can check at nose-axle is as meaned. Pointing W/E .

http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=125

Theres explanation how do it also. And you can imagine from there, no special tools used.

77volvo245
11-03-2009, 08:24 AM
I wuold a least get the head checked out by a machine shop. I guess it's normal to have cracks on the heads to a certain level. It's not that much to get a head rebuild from a good shop. I only paid $300 for my B21ft head.