PDA

View Full Version : 1984 760 diesel - newer engine and transmission

casioqv
08-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Edit: this car has been sold

This is an engineer owned and maintained 1984 Volvo 760 Turbo Diesel with 5 speed (M46) manual transmission. Everything works, including ice cold A/C, cruise control, etc. While it has 342,000 miles nearly everything mechanical has been rebuilt or replaced (see details below). The engine was replaced with a factory new engine from Volvo (made by VW in Germany) at 270,000 miles, and the transmission and overdrive were fully rebuilt and installed with a new clutch at 300,000 miles.

The suspension is upgraded but the engine is 100% stock and has never been "performance modified." An intercooler from a 940 Turbo is installed but not piped in. All piping plus an "N/A" intake mainfold to use the intercooler will be included for an extra $100.

The cooling system is in great shape- this engine never overheats uphill. It has a new radiator, new "tropical" fan clutch, a new Behr thermostat, and an "Engine Watchdog TM2" temperature and coolant level monitoring system with audible alarm. A large B&M oil cooler with thermostat and braided stainless steel lines has been installed to help control temperatures. A "Dave Barton" calibrated boost gauge is also installed.

This car has been in SoCal since new and has faded paint and a few dings, but zero undercarriage rust. The cloth interior is faded but not worn through. The factory equalizer stereo still works, and has had new pioneer speakers added, as well as an auxiliary input for use with an ipod or phone. The dash is cracked but comes with a carpet cover.

A large stockpile of spare parts is included including a spare cylinder head, injector pump, spare transmission, spare overdrive, brand new vacuum pump, and many NOS (new old stock) Volvo diesel spare parts still in the factory packaging.

I will also include most of the special Volvo diesel tools and manuals including the green books in factory binders, crank holder tool, etc. A toolbox full of tools will be included.

Key Features:
-New engine at 270k, rebuilt transmission at 300k miles
-Ice cold A/C with new compressor and proper R12 refrigerant
-Euro headlights, corner lenses, and side marker lights (imported by me from Finland)
-Upgraded 1987+ crossmember design
-OEM upgraded wiring harness
-Factory optional auxiliary fuel tank
-Monark injector nozzles (at 317k miles)
-Class III tow hitch with proper relay based wiring and electric brake controller
-iPd molded floor mats in front
-complete emergency trunk toolkit
-Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum Tires (new at 316k miles in 2012, good tread remaining)

Suspension upgrades:
-Bilstein HD shocks (all 4 corners)
-iPd 25mm swaybars w/ poly bushings
-iPd Cherry Turbo strut braces
-iPd overload springs

Recent maintenance:
-new engine (at 270k miles)
-rebuilt transmission and overdrive (at 300k miles)
-new timing belt and water pump (at 300k miles)
-new radiator (at 316k miles)
-new crossmember (at 316k miles)
-rebuilt injectors w/ Monark nozzles (at 316k miles)
-rebuilt alternator (at 316k miles)
-new starter motor (at 324k miles)
-new brake pads (Axxis Deluxe), fluid, and rotors (at 326k miles)
-added B&M oil cooler (at 326k miles)
-new power steering pump (at 332k miles)
-new Gates brand V-belts (at 332k miles)

Fluids and lubricants used:
-Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 engine oil
-Mercedes Benz Zerex G-05 antifreeze
-Redline MTL synthetic transmission fluid
-ATE Super Blue Racing brake fluid

I love this car but I am a full time PhD student trying to maintain 3 vintage diesel cars and at least one needs to go! I'm located in Davis, California and asking $3000.

Complete photo album online: http://imgur.com/a/Eipz1
Maintenance logs (a google docs spreadsheet): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bhu5IpOC6c_LvLWpmX1r48nCG8y6uYKSGWyPpNHABYk/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: this car has been sold

745 TurboGreasel
08-03-2014, 01:30 PM
I saw this car a couple years ago. It was pretty nice, and like 300 miles from home IIRC.

CJ8D
09-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Man, I sure wish you were on the other coast !!!