PDA

View Full Version : Power steering belt

raw
05-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Hi all

Cars done a strange thing. For the second time now my power steering belt has made a bid for freedom. Last time it got caught up on the oil filter and I refitted it but this time it's gone and manages to flip the alternator belt on the way out.

Both occasions have been on motorway runs and it's been fine for a month in between. On neither occasion has the tensioner loosened off.

Any ideas?

Rich

745 TurboGreasel
05-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Are your accessory mount bushing shot? or tensioner at the end of its travel?
or the mounting bracket cracked?

raw
05-19-2014, 03:13 PM
bushings are fine i believe, certainly there isn't much play in either the alternator or the power steering pump. the power steering pump seems to be at a slight angle and out of alignment with it's location on the bottom pulley.

new belts on now so i just hope these ones last.

Rich

ngoma
05-19-2014, 09:10 PM
the power steering pump seems to be at a slight angle and out of alignment with it's location on the bottom pulley.
There you go, that's the evidence that the mounting bushings are deformed and/or aluminum PS mounting bracket is cracked.

The tension of the PS belt will pull the PS pump out of alignment, leans toward the crankshaft pulley.

RedArrow
08-18-2014, 08:01 PM
The tension of the PS belt will pull the PS pump out of alignment, leans toward the crankshaft pulley.

That`s exactly** what happened to me but problem solved by putting in new (rubber) bushings. Whole thing was out of alignment before, bushings looked okay... but NO, bottom two were rock-hard, cracked, deformed. Hard to get them out in this condition too, take your time, take care of the bracket! (--> also a hard to find ).:)

raw
08-18-2014, 09:51 PM
cheers for that advice. not had any issues since posting this thread but i'll add them to my things to do list.

Richard