PDA

View Full Version : Looking for complete d24t engine

CapnSass
04-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Prefer it in running condition (shiny new would be ideal) but will consider some work needed. Willing to buy from shop or private party. Thanks!

ngoma
04-01-2014, 04:17 PM
Are you willing to travel?

CapnSass
04-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Yep, or possibly freight ship it.

v8volvo
04-01-2014, 05:32 PM
What's your location?

How complete are you looking for, just a short motor, or everything from top to bottom? I don't have anything "new" or new-ish, but I do have a few good cores that could be built.

Finding one of these motors in shiny new condition is pretty unusual unless you have one built or build it yourself, but finding an original that is a healthy runner does happen. E.g., here's one that is said to run well for $600, that even comes with a fairly straight-looking 240 attached: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/cto/4401726795.html :D Forum member Anders might have a good-running used unit, so you could check with him too.

One thing to note from my own experience: I'd personally caution against buying anything that's advertised as "rebuilt" unless you can get verified info on who built it and their level of specific knowledge. The last three that I had apart after catastrophic failures were all recent rebuilds (20k miles or less) that had something bad happen to them due to preventable error: sheared crank key, broken-off piston squirters, bent cylinder head milled flat, TB snafus etc. In fact, the only really "catastrophic" failures I have ever seen with one of these motors have been caused by mechanic or rebuilder error. There's nothing especially complex about them but there are a couple areas where a guy working without the needed tools and information can make a mistake that leads to serious consequences. I doubt this is a problem you'll have with a motor you get from anybody here, but something to be aware of if you look elsewhere.

Welcome to the forum! :)

ngoma
04-01-2014, 09:29 PM
E.g., here's one that is said to run well for $600, that even comes with a fairly straight-looking 240 attached: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/cto/4401726795.html
That one sold.

CapnSass
04-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Thanks v8volvo for all your input! I've been able to finly locate a reasonably priced IP for my n/a d24. That'll get it up & running again.

Are there available links/forum discussions about adding a turbo? Thanks again!

anders
04-03-2014, 02:00 PM
There are several ways to turbo that 240, the hardest part being the oil drain from the turbo.
Parts you will need: D24T exhaust manifold, turbo, D24T down pipe, D24T intake if you are not going to IC it, and D24T oil filter mount. Then the oil feed and drain for the turbo, those are all the most important.
You can use either IP, the D24 or D24T, the T pump will be less smokey.

There are several builds on here for turbo 240's, one of them being mine.