PDA

View Full Version : Dtrain combos to = awd in a p1800

Oddmodman
10-26-2013, 07:37 PM
I realize this is an engine forum, and this thread might belong in drivetrain. Idk. Anyway, I'm hoping to one day put my d24t in my P1800. That being said, that's not all I want to do. I really want an AWD setup, preferably a RWD/AWD interchangeable setup. Something like my Jeep comanche. It's got an NP242, which has both 4x4 hi and low, 2x4, and full-time 4x4 (which can be like AWD). Perhaps I should just rip off an eagle with the front-axle disconnect. Hmmm. Anyone have any valid thoughts? And please, if you don't like the idea, keep it to yourself.

745 TurboGreasel
10-26-2013, 08:24 PM
The CAD sytem is too much of a problematic POS to warrant grafting to a non native vehicle.
Stick with the Jensen heritage, and use FF Interceptor drivetrain.

Oddmodman
10-26-2013, 08:49 PM
The CAD is annoying...when it's driven by vacuum. However, replacing it with a simple pull-lever, or making a pneumatic switch, or even doing an electronic push-button solenoid makes it not so problematic. Besides, not many Jensens lying around here lol. Much, much easier to find an AMC. Besides, I like solid axles. Wait a sec, is the d24 a forward oil sump or a rearward?

745 TurboGreasel
10-26-2013, 10:30 PM
regardless of actuator mode, it doesn't play nice with traction aides that cost less then $1000, and the little plasic bearing and pads still wear out so it can demolish its hard parts. I'd skip it, and spin the front shaft all the time.

Wait a sec, is the d24 a forward oil sump or a rearward?
pic at top of page

Oddmodman
10-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Duh lol. The pic. What about the early ones they made without the CAD? Still say no?

Oddmodman
10-27-2013, 01:12 AM
Apparently they were IFS too. No solid axle. Guess I'm okay with that on a passenger car.

anders
10-27-2013, 07:46 AM
You can get a Dana 30 without the disconnect in XJs and YJs of early 90s and newer, it might be late 80s. Run it as your front axle, mileage suffers but it's simpler.

Oddmodman
10-27-2013, 08:19 PM
It's also very easy to lock in the CAD permamently, or just get a straight-thru axleshaft. However, after some reading, I'd really like to use an Eagle setup, with the IFS, CAD, and I'd find an NP242 to swap in. It's the easiest setup to find, if not the easiest to adapt. It's got the RWD/AWD setup like I want, and with an np242 I'd have Hi-lock and Lo-lock as well.

anders
10-28-2013, 08:21 AM
What transmission do you plan to use? I know of two different routes for a common manual transmission, but none for a more common auto, though the ZF is a wonderful transmission.

Oddmodman
11-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Not sure exactly. I know the np242 is a married type case, but doesn't share any fluid with the tranny, so it should be able to be an unmarried case. I absolutely loathe/hate/despise automatics, so depending on the input shaft of the engine, I might be able to use an ax15, which would mate to the case, a t-5 maybe, or even the 5 speed that came with the eagles. At this point it's just conjecture. I don't know that much about different transmissions. Maybe someone can make suggestions?

anders
11-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Looks like the t5 would be your best option, there are a few different companies that build an adapter plate to put the T5 behind the Volvo m46/d24t bellhousing. Jeep/AMC had used the t5 in cj's and some eagles.

Oddmodman
11-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Were the t5s geared differently? As in were there many versions? I believe they came in some mustangs, and I would prefer a car type transmission, specifically a sports car type, as opposed to a truck or suv geared tranny.