PDA

View Full Version : The new kid from Ohio

240TDi
10-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Hey, my name is John, i recently procurred a running bone stock volvo 240 with the NA d24. been looking up alot of stuff, doing alot of reading, and when i get the money ( im in collage right now so it might take a minute) i wanna do a rebuild/build up of my d24.

i got the car last April, and didnt pay a dime for it. my fiance's dad had it as a daily for the last 15 years and after that he let it sit for 2 years. well he went out to start it one day and couldnt get it to. i came around, looked at it and he tossed me the keys. ended up there was a loose wire on the starter, so i fixed that then tried to crank it.

15 to 20 seconds of cranking later it starts to sputter to life. runs idles does everything perfect (other than being really really slow lol). but every time i go to start it i have to crank it for almost a minute. before it sat for 2 years it would fire up immediately.

ive driven it all summer and just retired it as i have a 4 hr drive to collage and not being able to do 75 without getting very hott i had to park it. its never failed to start, but it always takes very long.
i want to do a build up, i already have a full parts list and build plan, but if i cant make it start right beofre i take it apart then im not dumping months of my time and alot of money into it.

i know that theres either a IP problem, Fuel line problem, or injector problem. the #6 injector feels like its knocking. you can feel it on the fuel line to. its just a suble tap, but its alot more substantial than the other 5. and you can hear it wen you open the hood. its not as loud as a bearing failure. but louder than just normal diesel tapping. the other ones of course do it to, but not anything like #6. so thinking injector problem. its in time. ive checked and double checked. idk. cant find any leaks.
the line looks almost like its been patched and bent funny or somthing. i dont have a good camera or id post a pic, but i doesnt look quite right.

i dont realy know where to start. ive cracked open the injector lines all one at a time while its running to test and see if the injectors work, its firing on all 6. maybe not consistanly tho.
idk guys. if you have any advice it would be apreciated. i will mess with it every other week and see where it goes. but this is the 1st d24 ive owned and i will probably need some help lol.

ngoma
10-13-2013, 07:17 PM
...but every time i go to start it i have to crank it for almost a minute.
Try this:

1. Install sections of clear fuel line before and after the IP. Watch for bubbles.

2. Check that glowplugs are getting full voltage, and check each GP individually. One bad GP can cause hard starting, more than one bad can make starting almost impossible.

240TDi
10-14-2013, 10:26 AM
alright will do so. thanks alot bud