PDA

View Full Version : New exhaust time!!

ian2000t
08-14-2013, 05:24 AM
My old exhaust has finally rotted through!! Thought it would last forever!

So, now is a good excuse to put a "real" system on. I'm thinking of 2.5" stainless from Turbo back, with just a single cherry bomb (3"x18") rear box. I have a mate who can make up the exhaust and borrow bending equipment.

Does 2.5" with single cherry bomb sound ok? Want something with a nice exhaust note, but not "too" loud. Also, if it helps turbo spool a bit quicker that would be good!

Hanomag
01-14-2014, 09:14 PM
I know this is an old thread however, I recently replaced the center pipe on my wagon due to it being pretty much rotted out. Before the replacement it actually sounded like a little Cummins had the turbo spool and all but the holes made it smell a little in the car. Now it is actually maybe too quiet? I can hear a little diesel sound at idle and a little spool but not like the true diesel sound it had before. Have any of you guys decided to run straight pipe? I have heard those MB diesels with the straight and I dont think it has a very good refined type tone but maybe the inline 6 of the VW power plant would sound good? Any thoughts or experiences?

745 TurboGreasel
01-15-2014, 01:21 AM
With a single resonator and 3" pipe, I got pretty bad drone in the cabin at highway cruise speed. added a second can, and it helped a little. Mufflers are morosso spiral flow.
excuse the whirr, its the fan on the inverter
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/SVOlvo/D24T/th_MVI_0008_zps0b819d4a.jpg (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/SVOlvo/D24T/MVI_0008_zps0b819d4a.mp4)
You can see how it's peakey at 250HZ
In the clip I get off the highway, sit at a light for a minute, and run through 3rd.

anders
01-15-2014, 05:04 AM
I ran a straight 2.5", no muffler on my 86 744 diesel. It sounded pretty good. The six cylinder has a nice exhaust note. It was too horribly loud, but you could mistake it for a straight piped 12 valve in town.