PDA

View Full Version : my 1st Diesel. sitting 18 years.

R.Mojica
05-31-2013, 08:40 AM
picked up an 85 740 Turbo diesel last weekend. hads a blown headgasket. i figured here is the best place to find out about the best places/ parts to get. I have also learned that some non turbo top end components are better flow then the turbo ones just like some other Volvos i have. Any input is welcome.

v8volvo
06-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Congrats and welcome to the forum. Looks like a project! Has it been sitting for a while? Runner or no?

Looks like it could be made nice again. Silver over black leather in a wagon with manual trans is a sweet setup.

Where are you located? We like members to post their location in their profile info so that others might be able to offer help with tools, manuals, parts etc that can otherwise be hard to find.

Headgasket is a complex job on one of these but gives you a good opportunity to do a lot of other important maintenance at the same time while saving on labor. It's a great chance to do timing belts, any other seals that are questionable, valve adjustment, injection system and glow system work, etc since you have to dig into all of those areas as part of the job. The headgasket can be a weak point on these motors, especially if the cooling system is marginal, but it can be strengthened with head studs and/or updated MLS gasket that make it much less predisposed towards failure. It's important to make sure that the cooling system is healthy after doing this job since these motors really do not like getting hot, even a little bit. If there are any parts in there (rad, hoses, t-stat, etc) that are questionable, definitely plan on replacing those before they cause you headaches down the road!

You'll want to make sure to use the right special tools and methods that are required for choosing the right thickness headgasket, properly torquing the crank dampener bolt, setting cam and injection timing, etc while doing the head and timing belt installations. There is extensive info posted on the forum about this and members on here will be happy to help out with any questions.

Glad to have you aboard!

R.Mojica
06-03-2013, 05:43 PM
ah yes still getting used to the site. updated my info. I was told the car runs but dose not idle / sounds like compression loss from bad H/G. and there is oil in the coolant res. to support this. I found a recon head form a non turbo with all gaskets for $300 + guessing $100 shipping. I know there is differences with the non turbo like the oil cooler, higher lift cam... vac. pump? and some other stuff? is this ok to use on the turbo and a good price?

745 TurboGreasel
06-03-2013, 07:02 PM
I think your links are wrong, when I try to see the pictures, It says Im not logged in...which I suspect means the link goes to your account view, not direct to the image....

R.Mojica
06-04-2013, 06:10 AM

R.Mojica
06-04-2013, 06:11 AM
did that work^?

745 TurboGreasel
06-04-2013, 12:25 PM
no, right click on the picture
copy image location
click the postcard image{insert image} at the top of your reply window
paste
enter
done

FJ40Jim
12-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Looks just like my project, except mine is tan leather.

http://d24t.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152

Didja get the head off? Whadya find?

R.Mojica
12-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Do I didn't get the head off yet. I did get it running using the fuel tank and low pressure pump from my friends 92 745T. I have a lot of parts sitting around and I'm pretty mucy outta time weather wise. There's a lot of greyish smoke under throttle. Not much at idle tho.