PDA

View Full Version : Car in reasonable shape

Neovyte
05-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Well, you get the idea, I'm looking for something with a d24t. I live in the central coast area of California, however i'd be willing to travel for a good car. I haven't done much mechanically with cars but want to start, having said that this will be my daily driver so I'm not looking for a real fixer upper unless the price is unbeatable.

v8volvo
05-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Member 745 Turbogreasel might have some leads -- if there are any cars available in northern CA he would probably be aware of it.

Member "anders" is located in WA State but I think he has a 1983 760 TD sedan with M46 in good shape that he is getting ready to sell. You might consider dropping him a line too.

Major benefit of buying something from a knowledgeable D24 enthusiast (such as the above two) is that it will have been mechanically sorted out ahead of time by someone with skills and equipment to service it, which will get you over what is usually the biggest initial hurdle when buying one of these without already having owned one (or more)..... If you get one off Craigslist or similar, from someone who isn't knowledgeable about them, then unless they're fully equipped with *extensive* records of it having been cared for by someone who was provably capable, you more or less have to assume it needs to be fully gone through, which is a challenge because it demands acquiring quite a few specialized skills and tools right off the bat. Certainly this is doable, and many on here will be ready to help you if you do jump into something that needs some work and you have questions, but might be a simpler way to go if you can get something that runs well right off and isn't in danger of breaking immediately. You can get acquainted with it while driving it, rather than buying it and then immediately spending a month doing repairs and maintenance to get it ready to use, as most members on here typically do after getting one of these that has unknown history. :)

Neovyte
05-18-2013, 04:16 PM
I sent 745 Turbogreasel and Anders messages, in the meantime I heard from a guy in Davis saying he has a black '83 diesel wagon (240 I pressume?) with the engine partially disassembled because it wouldn't start some years ago. It doesn't sound like he knows too much considering he didn't even designate what model it is. I'm saying pass, sound right? I definitely am with you on the buying from someone who knows what they're doing. As much as I'd like to believe I can work on my own car I think a full rebuild is a bit ambitious. :)