PDA

View Full Version : Used factory hitch

RedArrow
05-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Let me know if you have a complete kit laying around, for a 745 ( 740 wagon)

anders
05-08-2013, 05:30 AM
Are you looking for the "factory" volvo hitch with the funky 2x3 receiver? I have one with the 2 ball mounts 1 7/8" and 2". I also have an aftermarket one with the 1 1/2" receiver tube. PM for details.

anders
05-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Here is picture of the draw-tites (the two in back) and the factory Volvo hitch in front.

anders
05-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Better picture of factory Volvo hitch.

RedArrow
05-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks for your time uploading them. Now I clearly see the difference between them. I would need one of those soon... but I`m quite far from your location and as far as I remember they are pretty heavy and bulky too. Are you suggesting me not to choose the factory setup with the fat receiver tube... so it would be easier later to find the ball mount with trailer ball? Or does it come with those? I don`t know about the pros and cons of either one. (In the past I had sedan Volvos only and the hitches used in Europe were different I guess. For example, I never saw a hitch there that had a removable ending/trailer ball but that`s because their rules about having a hitch on the car are different. No rules basically, after you registered the car With a towing device) What`s the price tag on them? :) I still have no idea how to ship such a thing.

745 TurboGreasel
05-08-2013, 11:20 PM
I can't really say one is best...
2" is desirable, as it is stronger, any hitch accessory will plug right in. winch cradle, shackles, bike rack, truck nuts, etc.
Less desirable factor is it really isn't good for departure angle. It's heavier, and a Volvo really has no business towing anything the little one can't manage.

The Volvo one is a bit of an oddball, and you will never find anything but a ball ready made for it, but they do seem built well enough.

Pretty sure they are all light enough to ship UPS. It's easy, wrap them in a bit of cardboard, and feel sorry for any smaller packages they beat up on the way.

anders
05-09-2013, 05:37 AM
Here are the prices for anyone interested: The draw-tite in the back $75+ $40 to ship in the lower 48, Draw-tite in the middle $50+40 to ship in the lower 48, and hold your breath for the "Factory Volvo" Hitch with 1 7/8" and 2" balls For $150+$60 to ship, Why so much on the volvo? The funky ball mounts go for $50 each. But willing to sell it with just the 1 7/8 for $100+$50 for shipping. All the tow packages are rated for 3300 lbs. All hitches will include mounting hardware.

anders
05-09-2013, 05:41 AM
Here is a picture of the factory 2x3 ball mounts.

ngoma
05-09-2013, 08:55 AM
I have one of each. U-Haul 1-1/2" on the wagon, Volvo 2" x 3" on the sedan. Used mainly to mount my hitch-mounted bike rack. VERY convenient.

Had to fab some wooden shims to fit the rack securely into the rectangular Volvo receiver, otherwise they seem equally solid and constructed.

An interesting feature of the Volvo hitch: the threaded part of the ball and the nut are recessed, theoretically allowing for more "scrape" clearance.

RedArrow
06-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Sorry for my late response here but can someone show a picture of them installed? I`m wondering how much they stick out (behind the bumper with&without the removable end) and how `visible`/hidden they are on wagons. Around here I can`t really see a single swedish wagon with a hitch... extraterrestrial?

anders
06-20-2013, 05:12 AM
Here are two pictures of a factory hitch.

anders
06-20-2013, 05:13 AM
The second photo...

RedArrow
11-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Such a long time again without a hitch.
How to tell if a hitch setup from a 1990 740 SEDAN would fit my 1986 745, or not?
How about a 1989 or 1990 740 Wagon hitch setup?

Thanks.

745 TurboGreasel
11-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Wag and sedan are the same, later model cars have an optional brace to help prevent the wheel arch from folding down.

RedArrow
11-02-2013, 04:57 AM
Wag and sedan are the same, later model cars have an optional brace to help prevent the wheel arch from folding down.
Thank you TurboGreasel, it`s pretty far from me and I planned picking it up with my truck so the volvo wouldn`t be there to try it on. How crazy are those bolts to find/replace? I dont know their measurements.... I hope the owner can find them! Probably my towing eye bolts can be used, in case his hitch setup is missing a few bolts.
I found a very old school article: `Volvo Towing` :) funny
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/pdf/towing-1.pdf