PDA

View Full Version : For sale in uk:

Boots
05-05-2013, 04:45 AM
Silver 1991(J) 940 TD 167,000 miles Tax Aug MOT June - Located in Gloucestershire

I really don't want to have to sell this vehicle as I love it dearly but the list of items needing attention has exceeded my financial and technical means. The car would be ideal for someone with a workshop who wanted a project or as a donor vehicle.

The good bits:

MLS head-gasket, 6 off Monark 293 nozzles, 6 off glow plugs fitted at 140,000.
New brakes all round. Front discs, pads, one caliper and all pins renewed 12 months ago. Rear disc/drums, shoes and pads renewed 3 months ago.
Exhaust system replaced in its entirety 6 months ago.
Steering rack, track rod ends and lower balljoints replaced 6 months ago.
All electrical systems function perfectly incl. dash, windows, mirrors, central locking, heated seats etc.
Chassis is free from rust apart from the hole mentioned below.
M46 in reasonable shape and OD working fine.

The bad bits:

It's a bit tatty in places - I'll post some pics over the next few days.
Windscreen is cracked - needs replacement.
Small rust hole in nearside front suspension turret. Nothing making it difficult to weld - quoted £60.
Injection pump has leaking shaft seal. Started out by just losing prime when turned off. Very recently started dripping a bit of diesel out when stopped too. Runs fine once started (I'm still using the car to get to work!) but I suspect it will only be a matter of time before it starts to draw air and run badly. Pump will need pulling and overhauling.
Timing belts were done at 111,000 and so will need doing fairly soon.
Rear springs are a bit saggy but this doesn't really affect the operation of the vehicle.
Needs two new tyres, 195/65/15.

I would accept offers in the region of £300.

I'm really just seeing what interest there might be out there at the moment as I feel it would be a real waste of a potentially excellent vehicle to scrap it.

Boots.

RedArrow
05-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Hi. Let me ask you whether it is a uk vehicle with the steering on the right side or not?

Boots
05-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Hi Red Arrow.

Yes, it is a uk right hand drive, estate(wagon) model. Probably better described as 945? It has 940 TD written on the tailgate though...

Boots.

v8volvo
05-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Sounds like a pretty sound example overall and you've done a lot to it. IP shaft seal is not too hard to change, worst part is R&R'ing the pump off and back onto the motor -- if you've done the headgasket I'm sure that will be a cakewalk for you. :cool:

A 945 TD with a manual trans would be a prize to acquire on these shores, especially one with relatively low miles and in good shape on the inside. Amazing how cheap good used cars are in the UK... you're asking about 500 bucks for something that would probably sell instantly for at least 5 times that over here! I guess it's the MOT issue that makes old stuff expensive to keep around, right?

If you let it go, hope it ends up with someone who will keep it on the road. :)

Boots
05-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Yeah, I really think it's too good to send to its grave.

The problem I have is that my funds are extremely limited at the moment and, as you say, it will need the welding, windscreen and tyres to pass the MOT.

My dear mother has offered some financial assistance but doesn't really see the underlying beauty of the car - she thinks it's an old wreck - and was unwilling to spend any money on it.

Instead, she's lent me the money to get a 1997 V70 TDI with 250k on it!. It's tidy enough and the 'toys' (a/c, cruise, trip computer etc.) and the extra power/economy are all lovely but I still prefer driving the 940 over all.

I can't help feeling that we would have been better putting the cash into the 940 - I'm concerned that the V70 has a lot more to go wrong with it and when it does, it'll have to go and see a computer to be diagnosed.

The other factor that makes doing the work on the 940 difficult for me is that I only have on-street parking on a busy main road and with the weather here, that makes doing any work that can't be fitted into a couple of hours when it isn't raining a no-go really.

I'm going to get some pics up on ebay and see if somemone with better means for doing it up wants it as a project but if that doesn't work out, I might try and find somewhere to do it myself...

745 TurboGreasel
05-17-2013, 11:56 AM
I've done the shaft seal without removing the pump, but the engine was not on the car. I think it could be done though.

Boots
06-09-2013, 02:28 AM
Thanks for that TG but I just don't have anywhere to keep the vehicle whilst it is being worked on. (I only have on street parking and the MOT has now run out.)

The vehicle is now listed on ebay:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-940-Diesel-Estate-1991-J-167-000-miles-for-spares-or-repair-/151060129552?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item232be2a710

I hope there is someone out there who will take it on as a project...

Boots.

Boots
06-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Vehicle now sold. The buyer is going to pull the lump and use it in an LT based recovery vehicle...

Boots.