PDA

View Full Version : Running more boost? Get rid of that leaking POS dump valve...

Jason
09-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey Guys,
I have been trying to find what I thought sounded like a boost leak for a while. I thought it was at the manifold inlet, then I was thinking I blew out the gasket at the head. I finnaly found it to be the boost dump valve. I had originally plugged the outlet and it was ok. As time has gone on, it seemed like the turbo didn't spool as well and there was a different sound from the engine off boost. Rather than the nice whistle is was a whooshing sound. Anway, I found it to be leaking between the valve and manifold, so I siliconed the O-ring and that helped a bunch, but there was still noise. Upon closer inspection, it was leaking boost from the seam where it is assembled. I decided to remove it and installed a 1.5" rubber plumbing cap with clamp that I got from home depot. WOW what a difference. The turbo spools better than it ever has, and actually isn't too bad at all even with the large .63 a/r hot side I still have. This would be one of the first things I would remove if you plan to run more than stock boost!

Jason

volvo d6
09-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Can`t you use a na intake? I am giong to do that when i are going to fit a intercooler.

MRDART
09-30-2009, 05:35 AM
The intake from the D24TIC does not have this blow off valve but the N/A intake is more estetic...

IceV_760
09-30-2009, 07:53 AM
The intake from the D24TIC does not have this blow off valve but the N/A intake is more estetic...

Remember, they never imported cars with D24TIC to USA.
Or are you even from USA?

Anyways, its consideres at N/A intake manifold is slightly better in terms of
air flowing, BUT, since its turbo, it doesnt count like any after all.
Im going to add IC too with N/A manifold.

But tip: i dont know is there difference between the height of 200- and 700-series N/A intake manifolds, but ive fitted mine manifold from 200-series D6,
and it is really close to bonnet, think i have to cut piece from my bonnet cover.
Will see.

volvo d6
09-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Thats not a problem. Volvo 700-900 came with d24 without turbo.

MRDART
09-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Remember, they never imported cars with D24TIC to USA.
Or are you even from USA?

Anyways, its consideres at N/A intake manifold is slightly better in terms of
air flowing, BUT, since its turbo, it doesnt count like any after all.
Im going to add IC too with N/A manifold.

But tip: i dont know is there difference between the height of 200- and 700-series N/A intake manifolds, but ive fitted mine manifold from 200-series D6,
and it is really close to bonnet, think i have to cut piece from my bonnet cover.
Will see.

I live in Sweden!!!
Didnīt know they never imported it to the US, but then again the 940 series with d24tic was never sold here in sweden either ;-)

Oh right now Iīm in Norway doing a course on an american product....

volvo d6
09-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Here in norway is all 940 d24tic and the most of them have automatic transmission. The 940 d24 is usual luxury cars here.

Jason
09-30-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm working on getting a NA manifold, when it gets here I'll be doing the intercooler install.

Jason

volvo d6
09-30-2009, 10:09 AM
I have a few of these na intakes. They are esay to get.

IceV_760
09-30-2009, 10:44 AM
I live in Sweden!!!
Didnīt know they never imported it to the US, but then again the 940 series with d24tic was never sold here in sweden either ;-)

Oh right now Iīm in Norway doing a course on an american product....

Sorry for bad writing, the ".. live in usa?" question was meant to MRDART,
not to you.

Jason
09-30-2009, 12:36 PM
A few NA intakes? There are also a few more diesels over there! There isn't a volvo diesel probably within 500 miles of my house! I'm waiting on Kevin (slobodan on here) to get back to me, he has a manifold and intercooler that I'm going to buy when he gets it off the car.

Jason

volvo d6
09-30-2009, 01:14 PM
i have some d24 parts around the house:D

MRDART
09-30-2009, 02:00 PM
If the shipping wonīt kill you there is an advertising site in sweden called blocket

www.blocket.se
http://www.blocket.se/ystad?q=d24&cg=1040&w=3&st=s&c=0&ca=23_15&md=th
"bildelar" is carparts
"pris" is price one usd is approx 7 swedish kronors...

Hope this helps

Or maybe it just pisses you off that the market for D24 parts is bigger here :D:D

EvoStevo
09-30-2009, 02:29 PM
ebay.de had a couple D24 N/A manifolds that came off of VW LT vans a few weeks ago. The seller said they were willing to ship internationally. Not sure if that's an option for you or if they're even the same as the Volvo D24 manifolds, but just throwing it out there.

v8volvo
09-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Thats not a problem. Volvo 700-900 came with d24 without turbo.

This is true, but on the non-turbo D24 700 series cars, a different NA intake manifold was used that is not as tall as the NA manifold used on 240s.

I have made some measurements and I think the 240 NA manifold mounted to a D24T in a 700 car will be very close indeed to the hood. Haven't actually mounted it yet but from what I can tell looking at my 240's intake and the hood clearance on my D24T cars, it will be a tight fit... maybe too tight.

It will take a test-fit to know for sure. I will be going down that road at some point but I bet Jason will do it first... :D

Jason, 77volvo245 scored a bunch of parts off a 240 diesel in a junkyard near him -- might see if he could pick up the NA manifold for you?

Jason
09-30-2009, 03:53 PM
I just bought a tow hook cover from Taylor. I didn't ask about a manifold though, as I have already agreed to buy one Kevin has along with that Audi intercooler for a very reasonable price. I bet it will be tight but I have read in more than one place of people using the NA manifold with an intercooler setup on a 700 series. The hood insulation may have to be trimmed in that area.. who knows. Short of cutting a hole in the hood I'll do what it takes. Its running so well now I cant wait to see how it runs with that manifold and intercooler setup. Its going to be getting mean... I've also got a T-5 swap in mind that should really help put the power down!

Jason

v8volvo
09-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Speaking of the dump valve -- the other fun thing to do if you have a D24T with EGR is pull that valve off and see how packed with crud it is. On my two 1985 740s, the dump valve is so full of black gunk that it would never be able to release pressure even if it had to. Nasty stuff. You can also see how coated the inside of the intake manifold is. D24Ts don't plug up like TDIs do, but it is not fun to see how much junk is in your motor.

By contrast, the intake in my 1983 D24T (without EGR) is squeaky clean. EGR and diesels should not mix...

77volvo245
09-30-2009, 10:33 PM
This is true, but on the non-turbo D24 700 series cars, a different NA intake manifold was used that is not as tall as the NA manifold used on 240s.

I have made some measurements and I think the 240 NA manifold mounted to a D24T in a 700 car will be very close indeed to the hood. Haven't actually mounted it yet but from what I can tell looking at my 240's intake and the hood clearance on my D24T cars, it will be a tight fit... maybe too tight.

It will take a test-fit to know for sure. I will be going down that road at some point but I bet Jason will do it first... :D

Jason, 77volvo245 scored a bunch of parts off a 240 diesel in a junkyard near him -- might see if he could pick up the NA manifold for you?

I did grab that N/A intake mani from the JY diesel. At this moment I want to keep it.It's hard to find D24 parts around here as it is.;)Jason, maybe should put a posting on TB and here if Kevin deicides to keep his.

IceV_760
09-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Now we make fake ram-air intakes to bonnets..^^

volvo d6
09-30-2009, 11:57 PM
I just bought a tow hook cover from Taylor. I didn't ask about a manifold though, as I have already agreed to buy one Kevin has along with that Audi intercooler for a very reasonable price. I bet it will be tight but I have read in more than one place of people using the NA manifold with an intercooler setup on a 700 series. The hood insulation may have to be trimmed in that area.. who knows. Short of cutting a hole in the hood I'll do what it takes. Its running so well now I cant wait to see how it runs with that manifold and intercooler setup. Its going to be getting mean... I've also got a T-5 swap in mind that should really help put the power down!

Jason

You have to make sticky on adding the cooler;) I get very inspired of the things you do and you do it fast! You are going to run more boost after adding the ic? And what is the max boost you can run with your hybrid turbo?

Jason
10-01-2009, 05:11 AM
Kevin apparently has more than one D24 engine laying around, he didn' have a problem selling me a manifold.. I'm just waiting for him to get it off one of his engines. They are out at his parents place which is a little out of the way for him. Its not like its a huge rush.

I plan to probably keep the boost around the 15 mark with the cooler, unitill I get the ARP studs installed. My turbo can easily push 25+ lbs of boost efficiently. I have had it up to 20 with no problem and it wants to keep climbing, and that was only with the fuel screw bottomed out on the crimped on collar, I haven't even removed that yet and maxed the pump!

Jason

volvo d6
10-01-2009, 05:40 AM
I think the original pump can deliver very much fuel. I dont think i am going to do something with the pump.

IceV_760
10-02-2009, 01:07 AM
Well to over 200hp and more requires new 11mm liquidhead to pump.
Proven fact.

Jason- I ordered IC 4 days back, now just waiting it to start my IC-project,
with original manifold ofc. Going to run it on powerbench too,
to see how much hp and torque i get out with to3 and 1bar, and
tuned fuel pump, maybe we could compare our results when you
get your IC too, as the turbo being the difference?

Jason
10-02-2009, 04:34 AM
Sounds interesting... Though I'm expecting your dyno will measure in Newton meeters right? Also, I need to get a manual swaped in before I go to the dyno or it will be waste of time. The torque converter slips alot and just throws power out the window!

Jason

IceV_760
10-02-2009, 05:00 AM
Ah, lets hope you get one.
Oh yes, our dyno shows newtonmeters and horsepowers,
but they can be converted to counter USA standards.
By the way, what "section" do you use in USA to point torque?

Jason
10-02-2009, 05:52 AM
US uses foot-pounds. Its easily converted to newton meeters. My manual swap is on the way. I finnaly sourced a turbo diesel M46 bellhousing and flywheel. I'm planning on buying the adapter and swaping in a mustang T5 manual. They can hold over 300 ft/lbs of torque in stock form (I converted it, thats a little over 400 nm), and are readily available around here, unlike the m46/47

Jason

EvoStevo
10-02-2009, 11:50 AM
US uses foot-pounds. Its easily converted to newton meeters. My manual swap is on the way. I finnaly sourced a turbo diesel M46 bellhousing and flywheel. I'm planning on buying the adapter and swaping in a mustang T5 manual. They can hold over 300 ft/lbs of torque in stock form (I converted it, thats a little over 400 nm), and are readily available around here, unlike the m46/47

Jason

You found an adapter? What else would be needed to complete the swap? Would it still be a cable clutch setup?

Jason
10-02-2009, 03:28 PM
There are a couple places that sell the adapter... If you get the more expensive one, no machine work is required, and you use the volvo bellhousing along with the volvo clutch hardware like release bearing and the cable, since non of that would change. The only trick will be finding the correct diameter clutch thats the T5 mustang 10 spline. From what I have read on T-bricks the shifter location is pretty close, and with a little work to the shifter (building one that is like a "S" to get it back farther) its pretty decent. The rear mount will have to be custom, but I don't see that as a big deal. According to our supplier here at work, the diesel clutch interchanges with the B230FT turbo gas cars. However, the clutch kit with the disc is only shown to fit the diesel cars, so I'm guessing its the disc that different. I'll just have to measure the flywheel, and find a disc thats the correct size and center. I'll also find the specs for the diesel clutch thickness and compare to make sure I get correct clutch clamping force. From what I hear over on T-bricks, those guys use a 6 puck sprung disc with the turbo diesel p-plate and have good luck holding 250hp or better.

Jason

reed
10-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Try a t5 from a 94 or 95 the shifter is more rearward. The input shaft is also a little longer. I did the t5 swap in my 83 244 turbo. It shifts nice but a little more noisy than a m46/47. Have fun its not a hard swap I did mine 2 years ago and still going strong. John at vintage performance is very helpful

Jason
10-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the info.. I'm not worried about noise so much, I really only want to do the swap one time, and I know the M46 isn't going to hold up to how hard I run the car.

Jason

v8volvo
10-17-2009, 11:00 AM
I had a T5 in my 5.0L 745 swap (bolted to Mustang engine of course). It's a nice box that can take a lot of abuse. Doesn't shift as smooth as an M46 and I would miss the electronic overdrive, but if you are going to make major power it would be the way to go.

Jason
10-22-2009, 07:45 PM
They are also cheap and unlike the m46/47 units, are easy to find in the midwest!

Jason